Quorn products

• posted by Byllmur
    on

Howdy folks
    New to the forum so a big shout out from irelands east coast.
    Just wondering if any of you know if there have been any tests done on quorn products and how it affects the biome.
    We eat fish on an odd occasion but are mainly veggie and my boys have never eaten meat ( apart from fish) , but they love quorn, especially the sausages and rashers. Having nothing to compare it to, they have no problem with the taste. 😉
    We are not having any adverse affects and we have been eating it for years, although I know from trawling through the web, some have had some pretty nasty reactions.

Our guts are working well and the boys are fighting fit , they have never really been sick or on antibiotics , apart one stint with my eldest when he was a wee nipper and had an ear infection.
    Mine and my parteners health is great. We are an active family and I teach yoga ,previous to that I was a personal trainer, so I have a fair knowledge and try to stay clued in and on top of things.
    Any info greatly appreciated
    All thats good
    Bill

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

You might e-mail Quorn’s manufacturers about research specific to their products and the gut microbiome. Please post here if you get a response.

From memory some Quorn products have far better ingredient/ macronutrient profiles than others. As you probably know, the overall variety and balance of the diet is key to health outcomes over the the long term. If you only eat processed meat substitutes occasionally and have not noticed any adverse effects, you are likely fine to continue.

It would definitely be worth upping your family’s intake of small oily fish (eg. sardines/ mackerel/ herring/ anchovies) to meet official recommendations. For UK adults this is up to four servings a week. Even with marine algae supplements it is difficult to get enough long chain omega-3s.

Oily fish is also a good source of vitamin D, vitamin B12 and certain minerals (zinc, magnesium, haem iron) depending on the species.

HTH!

• posted by Byllmur
    on

Fantastic ,
    Thanks for the response.

Yes twice a week we eat quorn . With three days in betweeneach portion.
    Our diet is mainly organic and quorn would be the only proccessed food we would eat.
    Yes oliy fish is the catch of the day when we do it .
    We also add pulses, nuts, eggs , cheese, coconut milk/oil, and a multitude of other goodies, in the daily / weekly diet , . But i have been thinking more about adding fish on a couple of more days, the problem is that its hard to get the sardines pilchards without them swimming in some low grade sauce. But thanks for that , ill delve some more.
    Mackerel and salmon along with some tinned tuna in spring water, is the regular go to. ( the mecury content is a bit of a worry)

Ill write to quorn and see whats occurin ,
    Thanks again for all your suggestions,
    They are very welcome,
    Bill

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

No problem!

Canned tuna is cooked before canning, so losing the beneficial fats. Mackerel is a particularly good choice in terms of nutrition and sustainability.

The cheapo canned sardines I have (Good Fish Company, probably not ‘good’ at all) are in a simple tomato sauce with a little cassava, sugar and salt.

Some of the beneficial fats disperse into the canning oil, water, brine or sauce so it should be eaten where possible. Avoid fish canned in omega-6 rich vegetable oils: they will ‘cancel out’ the omega-3s.

Similarly consider the omega-6 content of your nuts and seeds. A real minefield for vegetarians, vegans and those who don’t eat oily fish.

• posted by Byllmur
    on

Brilliant,
    I didnt know that a out the tuna, thanks.

Yea my biggest gripe is the sugar and salt in most processed foods sardines included.
    Yes the veggie mine field is a well navigated one,
    Going to the supermarket is like going to the library with all the reading involved 😉
    Cheers
    Bill

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Obviously it is impossible to know for certain how much sugar and salt is added, but the nutrition chart would suggest not that much. Bear in mind there is sugar naturally in the tomato and (sea) salt naturally in the fish.

Given your family keeps active, you should easily burn off a little extra sugar and sweat out a little extra salt. 🙂

• posted by Byllmur
    on

Haha yes indeed we would have no problem there 😉
    However , its the little doses over a long period of time cause the most damage , so avoiding sugar and salt, the processed kind especially ,makes a big difference I’m hoping , over a life time. Sugar and salt are two of the biggest killers in the world today , but ill take a trip tomortow and see what i can find ✌️

• posted by Byllmur
    on

Heres the reply from QuornFoods.com
    “Dear Bill,

Thank you for contacting us and for showing such interest in Quorn Foods.

We are currently investigating your enquiry and should get back to you as soon as we have the information requested.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,

Customer Support Advisor

Any data held is for the purpose of answering your contact with Quorn Foods and will not be passed to any third party without your permission”

• posted by Byllmur
    on

More from the good people at quorn products just now

“Dear Bill,

Thank you again for contacting us.

Regarding your latest enquiry, how Quorn influences the microbiome in the guts, please see following information:

Researchers of the Universities Glasgow and Wageningen in the Netherlands have shown that Mycoprotein, the basic ingredient in Quorn products, is fermented by the bacteria in the human gut to produce a range of short chain fatty acids including propionate. This may be important as a causal mechanism for many of the physiological benefits reported for diets rich in Mycoprotein such as satiety and insulin response.

Short chain fatty acids are also known to positively impact the microbiome. We are therefore extending this research area and have set up collaborative projects at different Universities to investigate this further. This will complement the work underway at the University of Exeter which is already showing that our protein is as good as animal proteins.

We hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Customer Support”

Please log in or register to post a reply.