Potato Starch side effects

• posted by BBBandme
    on

Hi Everyone
    I just wanted to share my experience with you. I’ve taken a couple of heaped tsps of Potato starch three nights running with Kifir as suggested. I have had the most agonizing abdominal pain for 48 hours so far. I’ve Googled this and others report that it can go on for a week. I’m on pain killers to ease the pain and bring my temperature down. So just be careful. Try little by little first to see how your body reacts.

• posted by Annvelo
    on

I took one tsp of potato starch last night in a small glass of milk and have had the most excruciating stomach pain

• posted by jillyB
    on

Hi, everyone,

I have been using potato starch for a week now. Results : The first two days I slept like a log and was so chuffed.
    The third day I took two and a half hours to go to sleep, had about four hours sleep for the whole night. The next few nights weren’t much better and last night I was awake for about an hour and then proceeded to wake up several times in the early hours. I am quite disappointed as I thought this might be the magic bullet.
    However, I am finding Twinnings new tea “Sleep” reasonably good, although,
    because I am drinking it close to retiring I end up having to get up to go to the bathroom between 3-4 o’clock.
    What am I going to do with all this potato starch ??? I tossed some in my beef stew today as a thickener but can’t think of anything else to do with it.

jillyB

• posted by Bugs
    on

If you have mixed starch with kefir it could be the kefir keeping you awake. Too much kefir can cause anxiety and sleeplessness.

• posted by melbourne born
    on

Am interested in joining the sleep trial

• posted by jillyB
    on

Thank you Bugs for your advice on mixing potato starch with kefir. I have been doing this , so perhaps this is why I am still not sleeping well. The first 2 nights it worked well, but I can’t remember if I took it with kefir then. Unfortunately I had already had my PS with kefir just before I read your blog last night……..and didn’t sleep !

jillyB

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Ding: For me the takeaway message from that blog post is that a restrictive/ imbalanced diet *plus* high doses of a single prebiotic may worsen digestive problems for some.

Thankfully Dr Mosley advocates eating a really wide variety of different wholefoods plus only modest doses of isolated prebiotics.

As an aside it makes no sense that grains/ pulses/ certain root vegetables are “not paleo” but highly processed potato starch is.

• posted by Firecat
    on

I am a chronic insomniac (max 2 hrs per shut eye) horribly light sleeper and on lots of pain meds which also fail to make me sleep! Last year, I’m 51, I found out that I’m allergic to potato starch! It has been the cause of my chronic migraine for years and my stomach and face swelling approx 2 mins after ingestion! Bizarrely no one suspected this culprit because I am also coeliac and lactose intolerant and it was by pure chance that I realised that I had eliminated everything from my diet and still had eye piercing migraine and found potato starch in pretty much everything!! One year on and my migraine profile is down from 20-25 days out of 30 pcm suffering from migraine or recovery (yes really!!) to 10-15 days pcm, almost halved (I’m very happy!) Hopefully the ‘Clever guts diet’ will sort out the rest! Gp is in full support. So please do be careful with trying the potato starch

• posted by ItsMikeE
    on

So what is the recommended way to take potato starch?
    And at what time of day?

• posted by Avery
    on

Kefir, being fermented, can be a problem for those with a histamine intolerance. Histamine is also a neurotransmitter that can make you alert and wakeful.

• posted by 1stephaniemore
    on

I was reading all your message and I was wondering about how Firecat was doing. Did the bacteria angle help with some of your health issues? Did you happen to order one of those poo’s test to see the landscape of your biome?
    I am reading quite a bit about this topic and getting very interested, but the skeptical in me can’t help sometimes to think “this will be another fashion that will die off after a year or so”.
    Although, I have to say, the intermittent fasting does work. I lost weight now around 4-5 years ago and only in the last 6 months my weight have tried to bounce a bit. The fast diet did go out of fashion a while back, but I know it worked.
    Steph.

• posted by Juliepan
    on

What is best to mix the potato starch with? Also, it it only a teaspoon you take?

Please log in or register to post a reply.