Flaxseed oil

• posted by Chrissiewiss
    on

Hi I am currently taking 3 dessert spoons of cold compressed flaxseed oil daily as a way of obtaining good levels of Omega 3. I have MS and have read (Professor Jelinek, overcoming MS programme) that this is the best way of consuming it. Will it still be good for my microbiome in this form?
    Love to hear people’s views.
    Thank you

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Flaxseeds YES flaxseed oils absolutely no. Avoid seed oils at all costs- highly processed and truly unhealthy and full of inflammatory omega-6 fats.

• posted by Chrissiewiss
    on

Hi Graham, thanks for your reply. I am very concerned as I’ve been taking this flaxseed for a long time. An email to the Flaxseed company states this:

” Regarding your query, the production process is very simple. The seed is pressed and the oil then passes through a filter of less than 5 microns. It is then packaged. Typically the oil is 50% omega 3 and 16% Omega 6″

This didn’t sound highly processed to me and it seemed like a low proportion of Omega 6? But I’m so confused as I know very little of the processing process and percentages that are good for you. Thanks for your further thoughts

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

High quality olive oil or avocado oils are much preferable; less processing and a better omega3 to omega6 ratio; if you want to consume seeds then absolutely do so – highly recommended , ditto nuts. Consume a variety to benefit your microbiome diversity and if you can afford it, organic.. Simples!

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Flaxseed oil is rich in short chain omega-3s: these are inefficiently converted in the human body to the useable long chain format (DHA and EPA) at rates as low as 10%. Furthermore short chain omega-3s are much less stable than long chain omega-3s so the oil easily oxidises and goes rancid.

GrahamPhillips is correct that flaxseed oil is more processed than extra virgin olive oil or virgin avocado oil: not least because olives and avocados (both fruits) are soft and easily cold-pressed, whereas flaxseeds have a hard, indigestible coating so need to be finely ground to release the oil.

The only rich dietary source of long chain omega-3s are oily fish (eg. mackerel/ sardines/ salmon/ trout). Oily fish are also the only rich dietary source of bioavailable vitamin D. UK healthy eating guidelines recommend up to four servings of oily fish each week. There is no minimum requirement for flaxseeds or their oil, it simply is not essential for health.

There are much smaller amounts of omega-3s (DHA and EPA) and vitamin D3 in organic, free-range eggs from hens fed a seed rich diet. Dr Mosley’s advice on extra virgin olive oil and oily fish are on pages 103 to 110 of the Clever Guts Diet book.

Please do not use dietary supplements – including oils – without the guidance of a qualified health professional (eg. family doctor, registered dietician) who has access to your medical notes and/ or your detailed food and symptom diary.

Please log in or register to post a reply.