creamy cashew banana breakfast pot – HOW many cashews???

• posted by ktb
    on

Hi I’ve been experimenting with various different recipes in the Clever Guts book with a pretty good success rate, but this particular recipe calls for a ratio of 250g of cashews to one medium banana. It’s supposed to make two servings. Isn’t 125g of cashews a massive amount for one person to eat for breakfast? You can barely taste the banana and other ingredients in it, it’s like a grainy cashew puree…. perhaps this is a typo? Because I tried it with 170g cashews (weighed after soaking, in case that was my error) and it still seemed like too much cashew and too little banana. Anyone else had this experience?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

The recipe itself doesn’t read as particularly appetising! I immediately want to add lemon or cocoa.

A whole frozen banana in a smoothie adds a creamy texture, the flavour is too subtle to come through. Nut butters without salt or sugar can just taste oily.

If you are in ‘Remove & Repair’ you would be breaking a twelve hour fast and won’t eat again until lunch (p.262). The average person might well need that amount of calories/ fat/ protein for eighteen hours.

But if you are in ‘Reintroduction’, you might be combining the cashew and banana pot with a dense nutty bread and jam (p.264). Which sounds like nut overkill.

Some of the breakfast suggestions are much ‘lighter’ on energy from fat and protein than others. I find skimping on low sugar berries (one 15ml tablespoon?) just as odd as 125g cashews!

I think if the recipe is unpalatable to you, then it is wrong. Even if it hapoens to be technically correct.

Please log in or register to post a reply.