Coconut oil

• posted by wiz53
    on

Thanks for raising this issue, Ed. I too was very surprised to see coconut oil mentioned frequently in the recipes, although the text recommends a Mediterranean diet. While celebrity endorsements and anecdotal evidence abounds, I haven’t been able to find any evidence of proper studies showing that coconut oil is good for you. Has anyone else? Thanks

• posted by Paintrocks48
    on

Dr. David Perlmutter has some interesting facts to relate on coconut oil on his website drperlmutter.com

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Wiz53: there is some research on coconut oil/ key components, but not the large body of evidence there is for extra virgin olive oil/ key components. Hence you won’t find mainstream medicine actively recommending it.

Whilst EVOO has proven health benefits, the distinctive savoury flavour is not suited to all types of recipe.

There is no alternative fat source that is proven ‘healthy’ or ‘good for you’. Butter contains milk proteins and saturates, neutral tasting vegetable oils are often rich in inflammatory omega-6. Nothing has the antioxidant punch of EVOO (certainly not unrefined coconut oil).

The initial stage of the Clever Guts Diet eliminates many foods whilst still striving for some variety. Whilst I am not a fan of the meal planner, I can see why the breakfasts include subs for cereals and bread. Also why we aren’t expected to cook up eggs or fish and vegetables before work/ college/ the school run.

IMO the initial stages of the CG Diet don’t have that much in common with the Mediterranean diet: little or no dairy, grains, pulses, cured/ preserved meats. The ongoing phase is much better suited to being a reduced carb version of the Mediterranean diet.

• posted by Ed Bloat
    on

Thanks to Paintrocks48 and Firefox7275 for your input. Dr Perlmutter’s response to the AHA was very interesting. I just hope it isn’t the start of a “he said/she said” situation. Now … do I want to try coconut oil?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Whether coconut oil would be a wise addition to your diet will depend on your specific health issues, advice of your medical professionals, and other experts in those fields.

I found coconut oil a useful addition to my ‘arsenal’ of cooking fats, but I certainly don’t focus on it. I am working on variety in all food groups, and use the wholefood version – block creamed coconut, olive tapenade, mashed avocado, hazelnut butter – rather than a processed oil/ butter wherever practical.

You might find the Rapeseed Oil thread in the Mediterranean Diet forum useful.

HTH!

Please log in or register to post a reply.