Bone Broth

• posted by Trixie16
    on

I am just making my first batch of bone broth and just wondered if you should strain it of all the ingredients or leave them in. I only ask because I thought that a broth was clear. In the recipe it just says to take the chicken out.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

To me (UK) a consomme is a clear watery soup. A broth is more opaque and gelatinous, with or without morsels or chunks of meat/ vegetables/ carbs (eg. noodles, large crouton, beans).

After six to eight hours simmering I would imagine the veggies are mushy? As you say, without straining it would not be a broth, and the mush could make the broth go sour more quickly.

• posted by Trixie16
    on

Thanks for confirming what I thought. Have strained the broth and it smells delicious!

• posted by Greenpepper
    on

Hello

Should one scrape the fat off the top once it’s cold please ?

• posted by supermum
    on

I make bone broth every week and have a my own technique now. whilst still warm i ladle it into pots through a (not too fine) sieve. As it cools it will develop a thin layer of fat on the top. i use this when i cook because i imagine it is full of goodness but you could just as easily scrape off. after getting all the liquid out of the stock i remove the bones and give the chicken and carrots to the dogs. i like to always have a few pots of stock in the freezer.

Please log in or register to post a reply.