Acid Reflux

• posted by Mendoza
    on

Hello Fellow gut dieters.
    I’m starting the phase one diet in 10 days and really looking forward to it as well as feeling a little worried. I have really bad acid reflux. It had become more noticeable in the last 15 months. As a singer, this is a problem but I am managing it. Sometimes its worse than other times. I’m so sick of reflux diets and food (that don’t really work all the time and taste boring) I thought I would give this a shot. Is there anyone else that has the same problem with reflux? Has this diet worked for you? I know it’s incurable and you have to manage it. None of the anti-acid medication works for me. I have had an endoscopy and there are no major issues and they said they found no acid reflux damage, so I am keen to act now. In the some of the recipes there are big no no foods like garlic, tomatoes and strong flavours but I am willing to give it a go. Any other reflux people out there tell me your experiences with this diet please.

• posted by Food58
    on

Hello Mendosa, yes I had reflux and yes following Clever guts has almost cured me! I did not have to do much but coupled with some things I know I must avoid – see later- I no longer take up to 4 Rennie a day!! So what did I do? I started having raw oats and grated apple every morning. That’s pretty much it but it has worked. I used to eat porridge every day but now i do not cook the oats. The apple is the new bit. The oats are Tescos organic and the apples are organic or not. I have oat milk but have had that for years and I have cows milk in tea and loads of dairy generally. The apple and uncooked oats alone have eliminated most of my reflux. Otherwise like you I have foods I’ve learned to avoid. My list is : milk chocolate, anything peppermint, even tea, Marmite, chilli, lemon zest or juice – I substitute with lime or orange juice. I love tasty food so in place of chilli I use a lot of spices and smoked paprika for heat and that seems ok. Also Thai red curry paste is good and does not affect me. White wine is not good, red seems fine. I’ve just started having live yoghurt and now eat home made sauerkraut too and although I don’t actually like it at all, when mixed with grated apple it is ok and it seems v good for my other issue, constipation. So good luck. I’ve not got the clever guts recipe book but I’ve tried some in the general book (turkey burgers, veggie burgers and salmon and tomato burgers which were all good. I’ve also given up bread and mostly have gluten free. That has also helped.

Please log in or register to post a reply.