Kefir and my husband

• posted by Kefirlady
    on

Good morning, I thought I would share my husband’s experience with digestion issues and food. He was on max strength ppi (lanzoprolol) and had been for 10 or more years for acid reflux . I realised this was inhibiting all stomach acid and got to thinking about what that must be doing for nutrient absorption etc. It was horrendous giving them up, but he did it, and has been acid free and symptom free for 6 years. He found that certain foods instantly cause acid reflux, but more importantly, I think, is that I researched kefir, started making it and he has it every day. We both have it for breakfast and I was so pleased when it’s effectiveness was proved by TrustMe a few months ago. I just went for it, and have kefir grains coming out of my ears, it’s so easy to make. If you haven’t tried it I recommend you do.

• posted by Steve Maggs
    on

Yes I’ve been taking it for a few days now. It’s lovely yummy stuff. I’ve bought it from my local organic food store.

I’ve now got the grains and it’s in the corner of my kitchen fermenting away! I can’t tell you how unnatural it seems to have milk out of the fridge! It just feels wrong.

I have a question – how do you know if bad bugs have got into the mixture by mistake? Will it taste off? I understand it might have a fizz to it, but that’s ok. I’m a little worried about poisoning myself!!!

• posted by recoveringfatty
    on

Hi
    I’ve been making Kefir for a few months now. From what I understand as long as it smells/tastes/looks OK it will be OK. The good yeasts/bacteria in there will out compete any nasties that may get in (although very few should get in if you follow good hygiene) I always keep mine covered and ferment in a pyrex dish, I strain with a nylon sieve and prior to each use I scald all the equipment with boiling water to help sanitise. It ferments very quickly, about a heaped desert spoon of grains finishes 2 litres of Organic Full fat milk in under 24 hours in my experience. My grains multiply pretty quickly, I eat the surplus. Once the Kefir is ready I bottle it and put it in the fridge. I either drink it straight or as a smoothie base (usually adding Berries, Chia seeds, Spinach, Avacado and Prebiotic supplement)
    Hope yours goes well.

• posted by Steve Maggs
    on

Thankyou that’s helpful & reasssuring!

• posted by JoseJose
    on

I’m really keen to make kefir, and had a look online for grains, but it’s hard to tell if buying them off the internet would be safe/worth it. Can anyone recommend a good online source?

Just to add that I’ve had gastric problems for 20 years – not sure what, but I have a very “slow” stomach and no investigation gives any diagnosis so I live with it (it’s unpleasant rather than medically difficult). I’ve been drinking kefir recently because I was won over by discussion in the book. Fingers crossed things have been a lot better – I can eat a small meal with no nausea. I can’t say if the kefir is the reason, but I love it anyway!

• posted by Kefirlady
    on

Hello JoseJose
    If it’s any help I can sell you some of my kefir. I sell it on eBay, and it’s the same batch I use and drink every day.
    I don’t want to offend anyone here by offering to sell, it’s literally a small thing I do with my excess grains, bit of pin money!
    I sell on eBay for £5.50 free postage but if anyo here wants any, it would be £5, as I can avoid eBay fees!
    I can assure the efficacy of my kefir, and can always replace if any problems.
    Just email me on jbartlett57@gmail.com and I can give you more details.
    Jane

• posted by Kelnic79
    on

I haven’t made it but bought it already made from tesco, I’m not too keen on it as don’t like milk but I make a daily smoothie with it adding avocado to it and it’s lovely, I have to take a tablet called constella as I have really bad ibs so I’m hopeful that kefir might help me in a more natural way.

• posted by Turmeric
    on

I bought a bottle of kefir drink from our local health food shop and liked it but it was very expensive. I looked into making my own and decided to buy a Mad Millie kit from Lakeland. It uses a dried starter and the results have been good so far. You can make a new batch from the original up to three times. I had a query about it as my second batch seemed lumpy and the company replied quickly to say that the different strains of probiotics multiply at different rates which is why they suggest reusing it only three times.
    I went for the Mad Millie as I didn’t have a large container for the kefir and thought this would be a simpler start to kefir making. I think I’ll try some grains once I’ve used up the sachets which are in the freezer at the moment.

• posted by Kelnic79
    on

Is the bought version just as good for u?

• posted by JoseJose
    on

Hi Kefirlady, that’s very kind, I saw this too late though! I plumped for some off Amazon. We’ll see!

• posted by JoseJose
    on

Hi Kefirlady, that’s very kind, I saw this too late though! I plumped for some off Amazon. We’ll see!

• posted by Kefirlady
    on

Hello, lots of companies seem to be rushing to sell kefir. The stuff that’s just a starter is probably a waste of money as you have to keep buying it. If you have grains you don’t need a big container, a glass or a mug will do, or a large washed out jar, like a mayonnaise jar. As the grains grow you can freeze them or park them in the fridge.
    I’ve got plenty of grains for sale , or you can get from Amazon or eBay.

• posted by JoseJose
    on

Just a note to say my new grains have worked great! They even grew two-fold over just two batches. Very tart kefir but great in a smoothie with a banana and some nut butter.

• posted by Kazzyg
    on

There is a Facebook group where we all share milk kefir and water kefir grains and lots more for the price of the postage, which is usually about £2, unless you are near someone then you can meet up!

It’s called UK Fermenting Friends.

• posted by Kefirlady
    on

Hello again, a few of you have bought Kefir from me, thanks for your support.
    I have now set up a Facebook page to sell my grains, it’s called Devon Kefir, and also I sell on etsy, my shop is called Devonkefirgrains.
    Thank you for reading my post.

• posted by Thomas79
    on

Hi there.

I don’t know if this is the right thread to post it in.

I would like to know if any of you know where to get some pro equipment for making kefir. I have been making kefir for the last 2 years, but I am thinking about producing it on a larger scale. Therefore I am looking for some equipment. Anybody who knows any distributors or where to go search for this kind of thing?

Thomas
    Denmark

Please log in or register to post a reply.