Home made yoghurt

• posted by Traceynu
    on

I have tried making my own yoghurt but it is very runny. I followed The recipe and method in the book. I incubate it in an Easiyo yoghurt maker but don’t put the hot water in as I would usually in that yoghurt maker. Should I add the water?
    Any ideas on what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.
    Thanks

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Get some KEFIR grains – healthier option and ever so easy. My guess is you need to allow longer for the ferment. Join the fermenting friend Facebook group !

• posted by Traceynu
    on

Thanks for your advice. I will look for the FB site.

• posted by Nindy
    on

Hi! I have success with making coconut cream yoghurt at home. I use an electric yoghurt maker which keeps the temperature exactly where it should be for as long you want. Are you adding pectin into your yoghurt mix? This will help make it thicker (if pectin is ok to use). Hope this helps.

• posted by spsrehg
    on

Hi Nindy
    I would like to use coconut to make yoghurt as I am trying a vegan diet. Could you please tell me how you go about it? I have made yoghurt with dairy before. Can you use Alpro coconut milk for example?

• posted by Traceynu
    on

I am no uso g pectin and do prefer not to. Bi will but it in the yoghurt maker with hot water to keep the temp stable. Thanks

• posted by Traceynu
    on

Sorry about the typos!

• posted by Nindy
    on

Hi Tracy,

I use 4 cans of coconut cream (270ml each). Put the coconut cream in a saucepan and heat to about 37 degrees (you’ll need a cooking thermometer). You then mix 1 tablespoon of honey with 3 teaspoons of pectin and add this mixture to the coconut cream. Once this is stirred in, you add your culture, which is really only a tiny bit, less than 1/8 of a teaspoon. The culture will feed on the honey, so it ends up being just about sugar free. Then pour into yoghurt maker. I leave mine in the yoghurt maker overnight, generally around 12 hours. An electric yoghurt maker just takes all the guesswork out. It will look thin when you first remove it from the yoghurt maker, but it thickens up once its refrigerated. I usually add frozen berries and it’s yummy!!! I really hopes this helps.

Nindy 🙂

• posted by Nindy
    on

I think without the pectin your yoghurt may remain thin. I’m not sure about alternatives to pectin.

Nindy

• posted by Nindy
    on

I’m just re-reading your last message. I’ve not tried coconut milk, just coconut cream (Made by Ayam).

Nindy

Please log in or register to post a reply.