Home made meusli

• posted by Goddy
    on

Hi there. I have tried making the granola from the book which I liked the first couple of days but could not face it on a regular basis. I have been using Alpen (no added sugar)which is more expensive than the sugar variety!!! but I am not keen on the salt and other ingredients (dried milk powder and whey powder) as I don’t know if this is good for your gut biome or not. Does anyone have a recipe for home made meusli?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

The CG Diet book strongly emphasises variety, so we should be rotating our breakfast choices anyway.There are loads of granola and muesli recipes online, but you don’t say what you didn’t like about the Clever Guts version.

IIRC Alpen is wheat-based so not ideal depending what phase of the CG Diet you are in. Most westerners eat wheat products far too often and too large a serving, ie. we lack variety in our diets.

Are you willing to try the CG granola with different fruit combos, different dairy substitutes (coconut milk) or different dairy products (goats milk/ Greek yoghurt)? I prefer crunchy granola as a topper for a thick yoghurt or fresh cheese. Whereas muesli and porridge are fine with a liquid milk.

I found that ground flaxseed/ linseed ruined every recipe I tried it in, so switched to cracked (Granovita Linseed Plus).

Whether whey powder (milk protein) or milk powder (inc. the sugar lactose) is suitable for you is personal: dairy products being in the reintroduction phase of the CG Diet.

Lactose is not suitable for anyone diagnosed lactose intolerant, or medically prescribed a low FODMAP diet.

However lactose is ‘food’ for some probiotic bacteria, so it acts as a prebiotic. Certain beneficial bacteria convert lactose to lactic acid which changes milk to yoghurt or kefir!

• posted by JohnSwift
    on

Rolled Grains + Dried Fruits + Nuts and Seeds + Seasoning is my formula of success for home made muesli, this amazing dish charges me with power in the morning. Also, I like to take muesli as a lunch, just using nice food container, for example, this one https://allinpackaging.co.uk/food-packaging/ and enjoy my taste and healthy food.

• posted by Goddy
    on

Thank you all for replying. I did like the cg granola even though I overcooked it slightly but come the third morning I was not enjoying it. I had it with defrosted fruit and natural yogurt. Maybe If I just have it once or twice a week and with different milks like you suggest Firefox.
    When you say season John, Do you mean a kind of salt or seasonal grains etc. ? Will be having a good look round the health store tomorrow.

Please log in or register to post a reply.