hy is cod liver oil better than ordinary fish oil?

• posted by Jim H.
    on

On page 110 of The Clever Guts Diet, Dr Mosley concludes some warnings about fish oil capsules often being rancid and useless by suggesting: “If you really, really don’t like fish, I would recommend cod liver oil.”

My question: why are cod liver oil capsules less likely to contain rancid oil? Wouldn’t you also have to bite into one of those, as a sample, and see if it tastes or smells “off”? Just like we’re recommended to do with other fish-oil capsules?

Otherwise, what am I missing here?

Thanks.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Natural cod liver oil is not a great source of vitamin D, generally that is added along with vitamin A and sometimes vitamin E. A and E are antioxidants so may help slow oxidation. Cod liver oil is also a poor source of omega-3s so there is less to go rancid. Personally I can’t see the point of it, may as well just ask your doctor or pharmacist about supplementing vitamin D (esp. if in one of the UKs ‘at risk’ groups).

I take triple strength fish oil capsules bought online, so *hopefully* good stock turnover and better storage conditions than in a store. I have only experienced ‘fishy burps’ when I knew my stock was old (= forgotten at back of cupboard). My skin quality is definitely better with them.

Like Dr Mosley I trained myself to eat and enjoy fish. If I can anyone can because I was very fussy before! I literally gagged the first time I opened a can of salmon, but promised myself I would eat one bite. Now – when well enough to prepare healthy meals – I eat oily fish perhaps five days a week, and even order fish in restaurants.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

*Forum mangled my response: this should have preceded my last post.*

Part of the answer is on page 109: “it can take three years to get the oils from the fish to those plastic bottles you see on pharmacy and supermarket shelves. Omega-3 is relatively unstable and in that time it may go off.”

• posted by CapouePance
    on

Cod liver oil is so much better than ordinary fish oil, there are an amazing amount of evidence for this but I will not bother writing it up, it’s all in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc0gjgii82A

Please watch it and educate yourself about the pros and cons of cod liver oil/breaks compared to ordinary fish oil.

Please log in or register to post a reply.