How to keep weight on when doing he clever gut diet

• posted by DaisyW
    on

All the books website talk about how you loose weight whilst doing the diet. I am trying to do this diet with my 20 year old son who is currently trying to put on a stone as he is a rugby player. He has struggled for a few years eating for every mouthful that goes down he has to Wait for the biggest burp ( can’t do this in public places it’s so loud) to come up before he can eat the next mouthful and when I’d gets worse he has bad acid and heartburn and sometimes Hes sick form it. Taken him to doctors cameras down every blood test, poo test nothing – he is extremely fit and healthy otherwise.

Want him to do the diet to try and give his body a clean out but he’s desperate not to loose weight as he finds it very hard to put on . He takes protein shakes can he continue to do this whilst on the diet? Any ideas on how to feel fuller and get more calories in would be great.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

I wonder if the protein shakes are causing or worsening your son’s digestive issues. Digestive disturbance is a well known ‘side effect’ of such products.

Protein shakes may be loaded with additives (eg. sweeteners/ flavourings/ colours), are based on proteins (eg. whey/ soy) well known for intolerances/ allergies, are not chewed (saliva and mastication are part of digestion), are highly refined (poor source of vitamins/ minerals/ fibre/ healthy fats), may contain traces of other problematic substances (eg. lactose/ casein).

Furthermore protein shakes are often overused: a higher dose of protein than the body can handle at one sitting, or used to *regularly replace* instead of *occasionally supplement* a properly balanced and varied wholefood diet.

Please log in or register to post a reply.