cocoa powder

• posted by daydreamer
    on

could anyone tell me is cocoa powder used in milk drinks the same as that in dark chocolate giving it the same benefits and cutting out sugar

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Depends on the brand/ processing/ quality of the cocoa products, your individual response to dairy products and the amount of cocoa in each serving. Do note that milk naturally contains the sugar lactose that some people are intolerant to.

Dark chocolate can be low in added sugar: 85% cocoa is widely available, 100% cocoa isn’t even that difficult to find. This cocoa content is a a combination of cocoa butter/ fat and cocoa powder/ granules. Creamier or silkier textured dark chocolate will have relatively more cocoa butter and thus less of the powder/ granules.

The beneficial micronutrients in cocoa powder/ granules include the fibre, minerals (esp. magnesium) and antioxidants. Fibre and minerals should not be much altered during processing but the antioxidants are. The more bitter the cocoa product the more likely it is to contain higher levels of antioxidants. Raw cocoa products may also have higher levels of antioxidants than roasted cocoa products.

Cocoa nibs (crunchy like chopped nuts) are available and have no added sugar, they work well as a topper for breakfast or a healthy dessert.

HTH!

• posted by daydreamer
    on

Thanks Firefox for the helpful advice.Ishould have said I sprinkle the cocoa powder over my chia pot breakfast using1 full tsp. I doubt that the quality is up to much so I bought some Green and Blacks organic cocoa hoping this contains all the good things.According to the label the beans are harvested at the perfect point of ripeness then carefully fermented and dried.There is no mention of being raw or roasted so Im not sure about that.
    again many thanks

Please log in or register to post a reply.