Which live yoghurt?

• posted by Annbiggar
    on

Hi, I’ve just finished reading The Clever Guts Diet. Very interesting and informative. Michael mentions that certain supermarket brands of live full fat yoghurts have been tested and the results are on the website. It’s probably just me, but I can’t find them. Does anyone know?

• posted by TLCSAK
    on

Just having the exact same thought ! and have failed to find the answer.
    At the moment I use Total – Greek or Waitrose own brand Greek (not Greek style ) and prefer Waitrose …. but I would be interested to see the results too

• posted by Sistahinlaw
    on

Research tells me Onken, Yeo Valley and Total Greek yoghurts all contain cultures – hope that helps! (The website didn’t).

• posted by Caro49
    on

I have been making yoghurt with live cultures bought on Amazon. I buy a Bulgarian culture, which is supposed to be one of the best. You need a flask or yogurt making kit. I use an Easiyo set. You can also buy kefir and other cultures, but it’s important to follow the instructions to get good results.

• posted by Coesar
    on

Yes I’ve been keen to find out which are the best yoghurt brands too. We had the Onken natural in our fridge already, but it only contains 3 live cultures vs 5 in The Collective unsweetened live yoghurt. Not sure whether that means that The Collective is better or not???

• posted by June1767
    on

Yes I bought dried Bulgarian culture added it whole milk following instructions then in Lakeland yoghurt maker. Excellent results. Used to use flask Method.

Would like there to be a separate area for downloads and extra info book says is available. Very ery hard to find at mo x

• posted by Clong
    on

I’d like to know what we should look for when buying yoghurt. I don’t recognise the brands in this thread – I live in Australia so that may be why. I buy “organic” yoghurt but after reading the book wondering if that label is enough.

• posted by Lovemyguts
    on

We make our yoghurt using 750 ml of A2 milk and 2 to 3 tbsp Woodland organic sheep milk yoghurt* (bought at Waitrose). * Contains lactobacillus acidophilus and bulgaricus, streptococcus thermophilus. I can’t find listed products on the website.

• posted by ClimbThatHill
    on

Hi, trying to figure this out too. I’ve suggested my elderly parents start eating live yoghurt regularly, but not sure which brand has most efficacy. Any recommendations, ideas or research would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

• posted by PhoebeS
    on

Hi Clong,

I live in Australia too and have used Chobani Greek yogurt as a starter for 2 batches of homemade yogurt so far. Worked great and tastes good too! I just made mine in glass jars, wrapped them in a tea towel and used the oven with the light on only as an incubator over night (approx 12 hours).

• posted by Alan B
    on

Just read ‘Clever Guts Diet’ and decided to ‘treat’ myself to a course of yogurt with live cultures (Yeo Valley Natural). Is there any guidance on how much and when during the day it should be consumed? Or is it an ‘any time and any amount’ situation?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Official serving size for yoghurt in the UK is 150g IIRC. Recommended number of servings of dairy products is three for an adult.

Dr Mosley and official healthy eating guidelines advocate eating a wide variety of different foods. That applies to anything: dairy or not; prebiotic or probiotic.

It’s next to impossible to know the amount of probiotics in any fermented food, so ideally don’t rely on a single dairy product. You might have a serving of unpasteurised/ mould ripened/ rind washed cheese (30g), some kefir or buttermilk in any given day. Or dairy from cows milk plus some from goats or ewes milk.

Some microbes in live cultured products survive stomach acid to reach and colonise the gut, but others do not so need to be taken regularly.

Current advice with probiotic supplements seems to be take on an empty stomach so the microbes pass through as quickly as possible. So first meal of the day or after fasting (if you do).

I think yoghurt or fresh white cheese is best suited to breakfast anyway, or with a (prebiotic rich) curry.

HTH!

• posted by KH195
    on

yes I cant find them either?

• posted by gutache
    on

probiotics are only effective in a transitory period. if you stop, there is no recolonisation within the gut. Get rid of the pathogens, use prebiotics if not sensitive to them or fermented foods if not sensitive to these, ELIMINATE SUGAR, FRUCTOSE, and processed foods, plenty of fiber from LCHF vegetables – cheers

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Hi Gutache: I agree about removing the rubbish diet as you suggest. However its not necessarily the case that probiotics are only effective short term. Given the right environment (ie Cleverguts type diet) then the beneficial probiotic bacteria could well permanently recolonise the gut

• posted by Greenpepper
    on

Hello
    Am I understanding this right ?
    Live yoghurt is Total fat free Greek yoghurt ( not Greek style)

I’m bursting to start but I must say it’s a tad confusing and I’m only looking at yoghurt so far !

• posted by recoveringfatty
    on

As i understand it you don’t want need fat free, go full fat. Your looking for a product that says it has live cultures in it (it should say in the ingredients). Greek style is just strained yogurt so it’s thicker. Once you find one with live cultures you can start to make your own using it as the base, its quite easy…..if you are UK based Yeo Valley Natural Yogurt works well https://www.yeovalley.co.uk/things-we-make/yogurt/natural/
    We use that one, not used their others but would have thought they’d work too.

• posted by recoveringfatty
    on

Hi Julie2019, Interesting I’d not seen Yeo Valleys Kefir. I imagine it is made with added strains of live cultures to produce a commercial product rather than by the traditional method of using Kefir grains which I believe may impart even more strains. I’ll look some out and see how Yeo’s compares in taste to home made.

Please log in or register to post a reply.