Vegan advice for clever guts diet

• posted by DebJayne
    on

Hi Micheal
    I want to start the repair diet in the back of the book. (Which incidentally I was obsessed with and couldn’t put it down until I had finished it) if I replace meat with vegan/vegetarian alternatives will the diet still be effective?
    I will use natural products such as chick peas, beans and pulses but I’m concerned it won’t have the same effect.
    Thank you in advance for your help

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Wholefood vegans have a running start on prebiotic fibre! 😉 But challenging to make complete proteins in the initial phase (avoid gluten grains/ pulses).

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Difficult to balance fats, since most nuts seeds and soy are rich in omega-6 and obviously no omega-3/ vitamin D rich fish or eggs. Might be worth consulting a registered dietician about supplements?

• posted by Sarah Small
    on

I am vegetarian , planning to go vegan. Have been trying to follow clever guts advice ( guts now much better) but concerned by lack of meat and dairy free recipes etc – any thoughts/ experiences …?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Sarah Small: you may find the threads ‘Iron Deficiency Anaemia’ and ‘Quorn Products’ (Newbies forum) useful.

In general your detailed food diary – with servings weighed and measured – will be invaluable in ensuring you eat the widest possible variety of wholefoods and proper balance of nutrients.

Ideally you would have your food diary and supplement regime assessed by a registered dietician. As a vegetarian hopefully you are already addressing some nutrient gaps, such as long chain omega-3s, haem iron, vitamin D.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Sarah Small: just seen in your profile that you are interested in the link between diet and mental health. Particularly consider your intake of long chain omega-3s, magnesium, zinc, vitamin D3 and the B group vitamins.

There are plant foods that are truly rich in magnesium (cocoa/ low sugar dark chocolate/ certain seeds) but there are not for zinc, vitamin D3 or the O-3s.

Please log in or register to post a reply.