Type 1 Diabetes & CG diet?

• posted by Sewing Yogi
    on

I’ve had T1 diabetes for 12 years and have, since the birth of my 2nd child, been struggling with a number of symptoms which all direct to gut issues.

I’ve tested negative to coeliacs & my dietician has put forward the idea of mild IBS. She has said she can support me in doing FODMAP, but then I read Clever Guts and would like to try this approach first.

Is there anything I need to be mindful of with regard to my diabetes, either at the Repair or Reintroduction stage? My dietician has already suggested removing gluten and/or dairy, would I need to seek further ‘approval’ from her or my GP before starting the Repair stage?

Many thanks!

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

How well controlled is your T1? What is your HBA1c like? I assume you are taking a combination of insulin? Anything else besides? What is your diet like … what is a typical breakfast/lunch/dinner? What do you drink and what do you snack on? I wouldn’t rush to FODMAP unless there’s a real reason – the more you restrict your diet, (e.g. FODMAP) the more you restrict your microbiota.
    What symptoms are troubling you? Lots of questions ! Graham

• posted by Sewing Yogi
    on

Thanks Graham.

I guess my diabetes is somewhat well controlled, Hba1c is 8 something, so there is room to improve. I’m on a pump so only quick acting insulin.

Diet is ok, but again room to improve. Breakfast is normally cereal or toast, lunch is wraps or leftovers. Dinner is often pasta based. Didn’t realise how much gluten I ate until I started looking! Snacks are biscuits or chocolate. I drink coffee or water. I’ve cut out alcohol recently as I wasn’t sure if that was the culprit.

Symptoms are nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, headaches, fatigue, cramps occasionally but no bloating. I’ve tested negative for coeliacs and anemia.

This has all been going on, on and off, since the birth of my daughter in early 2016. I suffered with terrible sickness when pregnant, ended up taking 3 anti-emetics throughout and had to have IV fluids a few times. I had a section, and that got infected, so antibiotics.

All seems to make more sense when I write it down like that!

on

Were you type1 before pregnancy or did the pregnancy cause the diabetes? I have to say that there’s an awful lot of room for improvement in your diet. Better diet = better diabetes control = better all round health. How’s you weight and in particular your waist size? How often do you measure your blood glucose and what are the readings like?

Can I ask your age? Its unusual to develop IBS in your 30s ( it usually starts younger ) and do you know what your inflammatory markers are like? (CRP etc)

I reckon we could analyse your micrcobiome (British Gut – the cheaper version) would suffice; plus invest in a continuous blood glucose monitor (Freestyle Libre – free of VAT given your Type1) which would look at what spikes your insulin. Lots that could be done to improve things but it would involve considerable investment of effort (plus some cash!)

Good luck

Graham

• posted by Sewing Yogi
    on

Gestational diabetes causes Type 2 diabetes post pregnancy. I’m Type 1.

I do have a CGM, which is got for free from Freestyle, but can not afford the sensors. Hopefully with the recent announcements my CCG will allow for CGMs soon.

I spoke to my dietician, she said then only thing I need to be mindful of is that Gluten Free food is lower GI. She advised avoiding GF products like bread etc completely.

on

My question would be why not avoid (or minimise) all Hi-GI foods for a while? Unless you are coeliac I’m not sure why you’d want to go gluten free necessarily?

• posted by Sewing Yogi
    on

I’d need to remove gluten do phase 1 of the Clever Guts Diet, wouldn’t I?

on

Is there any particular reason to avoid gluten? And would you not be better off anyway avoid all gluten containing foods? ie bread and grains? They are effectively “sugar” when digested and add no real nutritional value to the diet. What are you planning to eat during phase1 ?

Please log in or register to post a reply.