Skimming bone broth

• posted by barbk
    on

I am wondering whether I should skim the fat that sets on top of the bone broth? Having followed a low-fat diet for many years it is a bit ingrained!

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Yes, a broth is the ‘light’ gelatinous liquid part. Skimming allows you to control the type and amount of fat in each recipe. You might add some of the chicken fat back, or use olive or rapeseed oil, or creamed coconut or nuts/ seeds, depending on the meal.

The quantity and quality of fat in a farmed animal/ bird can vary enormously, depending how they have been reared. A grain or maize rich (corn) diet is richer in potentially inflammatory omega-6s, whereas a seed and insect rich (pastured) diet results in more anti inflammatory fats (omega-3s, CLA). Here in the UK season is highly relevant in how much time the birds spend outdoors each day.

I particularly noticed the difference in fat content when butchering/ portioning for freezing and making stock (carcass only) from a free range corn fed bird and a free range organic bird a week apart.

Nutrition is a big part of the reason I only buy organic eggs and only reuse fat from an organic bird.

Please log in or register to post a reply.