Problems sleeping?

• posted by Charlottie
    on

Hi all!
    I’ve recently started intermittent fasting. From January I removed breakfast each day, but have switched to fasting on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays a couple of weeks ago. I feel my body has adjusted fairly well to it and have noticed some good results in relation to that uncomfortable ‘stuffed’ feeling I used to get so frequently. Except for one thing: after my fasting days, I seem to wake up in the early hours with my mind racing and it takes ages to fall asleep again! Has anybody else experienced this? If so, how long does it last? As getting up before 6am after a night like that is pretty painful on a regular basis!
    Thanks in advance,
    Charlotte

• posted by Msara
    on

Hi Charlotte,
    No I haven’t noticed that side effect, though does it seem like you are fasting too often? The 5:2 diet is just that, five days eating normally and two on a fast calorie regime.

Sounds like you might consult your GP if you need to make sure. Taking a food diary of what you’ve eaten in the last week to your GP might also help.

Taking the prebiotic Inulin in green tea, at least an hour before bed, has been suggested in Michael Moseley’s programme on sleep to help anxiety/ insomnia. Good luck
    Madeleine

• posted by Charlottie
    on

Hi Madeleine,
    Thank you, I will look into trying inulin! I’ve always slept like a log so this is unusual for me. On the other hand, I haven’t felt especially tired with it, just frustrating!
    BW
    Charlotte

• posted by Msara
    on

Hi Charlotte
    I remember once eating a vegetarian cashew nut stir fry, which gave me a humming head and I couldn’t get to sleep. Also using computer, tablet smartphone just before bed but again that stopped me getting to sleep, rather than waking up with racing head. I believe decaffeinated coffee can have that effect, too. So it could be something like that, perhaps.
    Good luck with the inulin
    BW
    Madeleine

• posted by Bizibee
    on

4:3 should be fine. Dr Krista Varady, whose scientific research on intermittent fasting was one of the inspirations for the 5:2 diet, uses every other day fasting. Dr MM devised 5:2 as a trade off between practicality and effectiveness, thinking it more sustainable.

When I first went on this (5:2 and occasional 4:3), I also lowered my carb intake to between 50 and 100 grams per day and raised fats to compensate. I found I was more alert and at first it was harder to get to sleep. After a couple of weeks it all seemed to re-balance.

• posted by Charlottie
    on

Thanks Bizibee,
    I hope I will also find it settles soon. The last few nights I’ve been taking additional magnesium before bed as I’ve read on some other forums people have found benefit. Whether my body is now getting used to the fasting routine or whether the magnesium is what’s helping, I am now making it past half four before waking up which is great!

• posted by Bizibee
    on

If I’m a bit too wakeful I have half a cup of full fat hot milk topped up a bit with hot water. The usually works but if I think it might not do so I also have a couple of herbal valerian tablets. That’s my “go to” if I wake at 3am. The two together usually sort it unless there’s something really on my mind.

• posted by Msara
    on

I find tge Williams and Perry Mindfulness is great, too.

• posted by Msara
    on

Hi All,
    I have since noticed that when I take inulin, especially twice a day, I get tinnitus. I Googled ‘inulin tinnitus’ and there seems to be a study trying to ascertain whether INULIN does indeed cause TINNITUS in some who take it.
    Madeleine

• posted by CynthiaDuncan
    on

Great post.

• posted by Gislenus
    on

The problem is, when I go to sleep earlier I don’t get that full eight or nine hours; I usually wake up at 5 or 6 AM so I’m still getting the same amount of sleep I would if I was closing my eyes at 1 or 2 AM.I am aware that sleeping regimens need time to kick in with the cycle, but it’s been months now and I have no reprieve. Should I see a doctor? Take medication? Should i try taking medicinal cannabis like this one https://www.bonzaseeds.com/blog/tahoe-og-kush/ ??
    Sucks, man. By like 3 or 4 PM I start dozing off again, and I come home and I just want to take a nap. Lack of energy, which impacts my gym regimen and general welfare. I don’t want to do chores, or work, or even play video games in my down time because staring at the screen tires me out.

• posted by Msara
    on

Yes do see a doctor. Write down all symptoms. Check out tips for better sleep like going to bed same time every night and settjng alarm to get up same time. Keeping room dark and cool and well aired etc. Ive had sleep problems associated with thyroid in past and recently fibromyalgia so it’s worth getting checked out. Good luck.

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Hi Gislenus
    Are you following good “sleep hygiene” procedures prior to going to bed/sleep. If you post more details (daily food/drink/exercise diary plus anything else of relevance I might be able to advise. NYTOL (there are a herbal and non-herbal versions) available from your pharmacy are OK but strictly short term. Ask your local pharmacist. Hope that helps. Graham

• posted by Casadesante
    on

If you are new to eating sleep hygiene procedures than try once low fodmap breakfast or foods. It’s wise to introduce them slowly! I came across this great website on casadesante and it has a nice Easy Low FODMAP Breakfast Ideas,Southwest-style egg and cheese muffins,Protein Smoothie.

Please log in or register to post a reply.