Portion size

• posted by GezzaG
    on

When a recipe calls for 140g of green-pea pasta or 2 tbsp of brown rice, is this before cooking or after. Obviously, 2 tbsp of uncooked rice will double in size. So which is it?

• posted by Jefor
    on

I’ve just asked a similar question regarding a recipe in The Clever Guts Diet Recipe Book. I see you’ve had no replies on here but were you able to find the answer? If so, I’d love to know.

• posted by GezzaG
    on

Sorry I haven’t responded sooner but no I haven’t found out the answer!

• posted by Jefor
    on

Thanks for your response. My query was regarding quinoa and, as I’ve since been told it can be bought pre-cooked, I assume the recipe referred to cooked weight.

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Normally recipes refer to pre-cooked unless otherwise specified, I believe..

• posted by Jefor
    on

Thank-you, but it makes it difficult to judge the weight if using uncooked ingredients such as rice or quinoa.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

There may not be a definitive answer, it may well vary by recipe and by ingredient.

For example if the recipe instructs you to cook the pasta, the measurement is likely dry. If rice is used in a cold salad assembly the measurement is likely cooked.

Cooked rice stores well in the refrigerator or freezer, and reheats much better than pasta which can easily be overcooked.

• posted by Jefor
    on

This was the only recipe I’ve come across that didn’t make it clear. I’d be wary reheating rice as it’s the one food it’s advised not to reheat.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

It is safe to reheat cooked rice, or eat it cold, providing it has been refrigerated or frozen *promptly after cooking*. Cooked rice should not be kept warm or left at room temperature for too long.

This is because rice may harbour a bacteria that can survive cooking (‘spore former’). Given food, water, warmth and time the bacteria multiplies and produces toxins *which are not destroyed by cooking/ reheating/ freezing.*

Basically avoid rice at a summer BBQ or curry house buffet unless you know it has not been out long. And only use rice in your phyto burst lunchbox or bento if you have a refrigerator at work.

HTH.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

URL links don’t work well here on CG, but reputable online articles confirming the above include the UK National Health Service “Can reheating rice cause food poisoning?” and BBC News “Dr Mosley: When is it safe to reheat leftovers?”

• posted by Jefor
    on

Thank-you.

Please log in or register to post a reply.