Making yogurt V Greek yogurt

• posted by Tofu63
    on

Hello all, I’m brand new to all this and have just finished reading the book. I like yogurt and always believed that proper Greek yogurt was ‘better’ for us and I always have zero fat (sorry) Greek yogurt on my fast days with frozen berries and Stevia (sorry again 😬).
    Can you explain to me why it would be better for me to make my own? I’m thinking I might stick with the zero fat stuff on fast days to conserve as many calories as possible and have the home made one on non fast days, what’d you think? also is there anything acceptable to use to sweeten it?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

If you are using yoghurt as a source of probiotics (beneficial bacteria), then freshly made is most reliably still be ‘live’. Store bought may not have been well stored or transported.

If you have cravings or a weakness for sweet things it is wise to avoid sweeteners In the first phase of the Clever Guts diet. After that taking the edge off very sour things – citrus, some berries, yoghurt, vinegar – should be fine. Some sweeteners are even prebiotic (feed beneficial bacteria). For example erythritol, xylitol, lsctulose)

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Just to add, if you are making your own, it might be worth making Kefir instead or in addition -similar process but seemingly broader health benefits

• posted by Tofu63
    on

That’s really helpful, I’ll order some xylitol and make my own yogurt from now on. Thanks

• posted by Tofu63
    on

I do just enjoy yogurt with some fruit and like to make tzatziki. I do plan to make kefir too. I’m just watching my first batch of purple sauerkraut (very bubbly) and I’ve been trying to find a vegan kimchi recipe that looks approachable. Thank you for the heads up.

Please log in or register to post a reply.