Making Kefir

• posted by Dot
    on

Hello I am going to attempt to make kefir. The starter pack that I bought from the health store indicates that only 25 litres can be made (5 batches from each sachet). Do these starter packs produce “grains”. Also I think it would be helpful to include a video on the Clever Guts website demonstrating the process of making Kefir – similar to the video by Dr Clare Bailey demonstrating how to make Purple Saurerkraut.

• posted by recoveringfatty
    on

Hi Dot.
    I don’t think the starter pack you have will produce grains but I’m not sure, I’ve never purchased it in this format. I got grains and they perform very well. This video shows the basic process. I believe starting with grains is the preferable method.

I purchased my grains off the guy in the video (UK based) he sells them on ebay.

Hope that helps

• posted by Vassily
    on

Hi, Dot,
    The powders you bought are not grains and they do not produce grains. If you buy already made live organic kefir from a supermarket/health shop, you can make about the same amount of batches (5-7) from it, using 50-100g of kefir as a starter mixed with 2-3 litres of milk. To produce steady flow of high-quality kefir, you have to buy real kefir grains. Many health shops sell them.
    You can find detailed info about kefir and other cultured foods here: https://www.culturesforhealth.com/
    Cheers!

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

If you live anywhere near London I highly recommend The Fermentarium. Also Fermenting Friends Facebook group

• posted by prisonpastor
    on

I have been making kefir for years and have a slightly different method which is easier and cheaper, in my opinion.
    I was given kefir grains to start (or when I accidentally lost mine) and have often offered grains on Freecycle so it is often possible to get them for free.
    I don’t find you need anything like the volume of grains shown in the video – one will do fine for a large jar of milk. In fact, I haven’t tried it but I suspect that even part of a grain would do – it would just be easy to lose.
    The advantage to having a little clump of grains (say a teaspoon’s worth) is that they are more likely to float to the top like a small blob of tapioca or sago, whereas a tiny quantity can sink a bit invisibly. That would be the only time I would use a sieve which is an extra step and spoils the set.
    I just sit out the jar on my countertop and after 36 hours or so find the kefir has set. As long as I can see the kefir grains, I just remove them with a spoon or even my fingers and pop them in another jar of milk, then refrigerate the made kefir.
    If you haven’t been stirring or jiggling the kefir around, that nice set consistency means you can eat it with a spoon like yogurt. Or you can shake it up to make it more of a drinking consistency.
    I have found that if my kefir clump grows (usually in a blob rather than multiple individual bits) I can pop a bit in the freezer in case I lose the fresh one. Or of course give more away…

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

When making any fermented food it is very important to observe kitchen hygeine. All equipment should be as close to sterilised as possible, never ever stick your fingers in the food. I am sure you have good intentions, but please don’t pass your potentially contaminated grains on.

• posted by prisonpastor
    on

Making live cultured foods such as kefir, kombucha and sauerkraut is different from bottling beer or wine where hygiene is essential. The point of these ferments is that they are robust and overcome more harmful bacteria, whether in the air or in the gut. I have been making kefir for years now, and have given away many grains, and have not had a problem with contamination.

• posted by Louanng
    on

Hi,
    I have been making both kefir water and milk for about two weeks now. Sadly the rest of my family are not as entranced with this as me, so my question is…how much kefir is it a good idea to drink in a day???

• posted by Iniuk
    on

I have a simple method of making Kefir which I’ve been doing for some years. I have a lidded Chinese cup, the Kefir grains go in and its filled with milk (goat milk in my case as I have a goat) 24 hours later I remove the grains, use the Kefir in a smoothie, replace the grains with more milk. I find this “perpetual motion” system really easy especially as nobody else likes it! Sometimes I manage to give extra grains, away, otherwise they’re blended into the next smoothie. Grains can be cultured with cream for the most delicious dour cream in the world by the way!

• posted by Iniuk
    on

I have a simple method of making Kefir which I’ve been doing for some years. I have a lidded Chinese cup, the Kefir grains go in and its filled with milk (goat milk in my case as I have a goat) 24 hours later I remove the grains, use the Kefir in a smoothie, replace the grains with more milk. I find this “perpetual motion” system really easy especially as nobody else likes it! Sometimes I manage to give extra grains, away, otherwise they’re blended into the next smoothie. Grains can be cultured with cream for the most delicious sour cream in the world by the way!

Please log in or register to post a reply.