Kombucha

• posted by KA new starter
    on

Hi just starting out on this journey. can someone tell me the best place to buy a Scoby to start making Kombucha.

• posted by trishd
    on

I have bought mine via Amazon a couple of days ago (no surprise). I am yet to action it, its quite daunting but so keen to make this new knowledge a way of life, good luck.

• posted by Cleedham
    on

Hi, I bought a kombucha kit on Amazon about 6 months ago and have made about 50 gallons so far. It is so easy and delicious I wanted to share what I have learned. I boil 4 cups of water in a pan then add 8 green tea bags, letting it sit for 20 plus minutes. Meanwhile I add about a teaspoon of chopped fruit (orange or pineapple are great) to each of 6 pop top bottles (Amazon again) then about a cup of kombucha from a previous gallon brew 7 to 10 days old (after relocating the scoby and some liquid to a large bowl), I then add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to each bottle and then fill it with kombucha. These are then stored in the box the bottles came in for 7 to 10 days. Back to the pan of tea, I remove the tea bags and stir in 1 cup of sugar. I then rinse the gallon jar after pouring any remaining kombucha into the bowl and then fill the jar about 1/4 of the way with cold water. I then add room temperature water until it is between 68 and 80 degrees ( I have a temperature strip on the jar). At this point I add the scoby and left over liquid and then top up with water. I then stir it and attach cloth to cover opening. My original instructions suggested testing the pH level but I do not.
    The steps above have evolved after trial and error and start to finish take about 40 minutes. I do not burp the bottles. After about a week I put 2 bottles in the fridge, replacing them after consumption. I strain the liquid before drinking. I am now up to 3 gallon jars, bottling every 4 days. Every bottle has been delicious.
    Hope this helps, please ask if you have any questions.

• posted by CoeliacSal
    on

Can kombucha be made with herbal teas rather than black, green or white tea?

Please log in or register to post a reply.