In take of fruit

• posted by Kal
    on

Evening all,

I’m only in my second week of the programme but doing well, 10lbs gone so far.

My question is, how much fruit is reasonable and what affect will too much have? All my life I’ve eaten a lot of fruit, I love it! I don’t drink fruit juice but eating whole fruits, I’m really missing it, I’ve got some watermelon in, is that doing to put a spanner in my weight loss plan?

Thanks

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

To a large extent sugar is sugar, naturally occurring or added: no amount is actively beneficial. Sugars contribute to inflammation, overweight/ obesity, a host of common lifestyle diseases, supports an unhealthy gut microbiome.

Dr Mosley recommends “train your tastebuds to go for something less sweet.” (p.23) Lower sugar, nutrient dense fruits include blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, redcurrants and blackcurrants. Tropical and dried fruits are particularly high in sugar.

• posted by Elixa_Probiotic
    on

High fructose intake is a problem if you don’t normally eat fruit (and therefore have down-regulation of GLUT5 receptors in the intestine) or if it is consumed in the form of High Fructose Corn Syrup, as this is an unnatural combination of glucose and fructose, with a low glucose:fructose ratio. Fruit in its natural state is not really a problem. Bananas are a particularly good fruit source as they contain the prebiotic inulin which has many dietary benefits, are rich in potassium and don’t need washing before consumption!

Please log in or register to post a reply.