HIIT

• posted by KylieM7
    on

Can any recommend any good resources (websites or books) on HIIT? i.e. that have programs I can follow to do a HIIT workout?

Thank you.

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Yep: The Truth about Exercise by (wait for it…) Dr Michael Mosley !

• posted by KylieM7
    on

Thanks Graham but this appears to be a documentary. I’m not looking for something that explains why HIIT is good or the evidence for it. I’m convinced of that. What I’m looking for is HIIT exercise programs I can do at home. e.g. do star jumps for 2 mins then rest for one minute.

I’ve done a google search and a search on amazon for books, but of course, this turns up heaps of results. So was wondering if anyone here can recommend a couple that are particularly good or they have found effective.

Thanks.

on

Yes: Fast Exercise by Michael Mosley!

• posted by recoveringfatty
    on

Hi KylieM7

Fast exercise is a book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fast-Exercise-Michael-Mosley/dp/1780721986 (also Michael did a documentary)
    There’s quite a bit in the book about how and why it works but also suggested exercises. It got me started doing HIIT about 14 months ago and I’ve built up my regime best few quid I ever spent!. I won’t pretend it’s been easy but its fast and tolerable and for me I have no doubt its worked. I use a programmable cross trainer to do HIIT every other day, but you can do it many other ways. You don’t really need a piece of equipment but i find having a programmed automatic regime suits me.
    Good luck.

• posted by efaitch
    on

There’s an app called Scientific 7 that you might be interested in. You can repeat the 7 minutes if you have more time 🙂

• posted by KylieM7
    on

Thank you ‘Recoveringfatty’ (though I feel a bit uncomfortable calling you that). That’s really helpful – knowing that fast exercise has HIIT exercises in it. Thank you. Congratulations on your progress so far! And good luck with the rest of your journey!

Thanks Efaitch – I will try to check out Scientific7 at some stage!

• posted by recoveringfatty
    on

Hi KylieM7
    Don’t feel uncomfortable calling me that, it reminds me of where I was…..In truth I should now be ‘recovered’ fatty as I hit my target BMI of 22 back in June, first time in my life I’ve not been overweight….. however I’m still wary of falling off the wagon….
    Cheers!

• posted by Caz9
    on

Joe Wicks does lots of HIIT workouts on Youtube. Could try them….

• posted by KylieM7
    on

Thanks RecoveredFatty and Caz9!

• posted by PigCalledEgg
    on

Hi, can anybody please explain the link to me between HIIT and the Biome? Having read the book i am a little disappointed that there was not any strong evidence given other than that a there is a rugby team who do hi intensity training, eat a varied diet and have diverse microbiome in their poo. There was no theory put forward as to why the author thinks there is a link here or the possible mechanism of how this works to positively impact on the biome. Not that i am doubtful of the benefits of HIIT at all, just interested from a scientific point of view. I felt it was the only thing that didn’t really tie in as well as everything else in the book. thanks to anyone who can reply.

on

Sleep and exercise both seem to help a healthy biome. In general terms we know what a healthy biome looks like, and in general terms we know its affected by diet, lifestyle, sleep, exercise and medication. You are looking for a very specific answer and I don’t think it actually exists YET! Remember research in the microbiome field is in its infancy.

As for HIIT, there’s loads of evidence of benefit (cardiovascular; mental health etc etc). If you read Michael’s book :Fast Exercise there’s plenty of information and evidence

• posted by PigCalledEgg
    on

Yep, not doubting the whole body-wide benefits of HIIT at all. I will be interested to see the evidence as it emerges with more research in to HOW it works with the Gut.

Please log in or register to post a reply.