Fruit?

• posted by Stevoka
    on

There seems to be very little fruit in the Clever Guts diet. I was a bit surprised as I imagined it would be very good for the biome. Is it mainly to avoid the excess sugars or are there other reasons to avoid fruit?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Define fruit! 😉

What we think of as ‘fruit’ is the produce that has been intensively selected for millenia to be larger, juicier and much higher in sugar.

Sugary produce that is often eaten by westerners with ‘Remove & Repair’ no-nos (cows dairy/ refined sugar/ sweetener/ processed grains).

Sugary produce that we often have a double or triple serving of: the UK recommended 80g is only half a banana, half an apple, or a sixth of a punnet of grapes!

Clever Guts actually includes quite a bit of lower sugar fruits, those that are commonly eaten in savoury dishes. For example tomatoes, bell pepper, olives, avocado, aubergine, butternut squash, courgettte, cucumber, lemons. And a small amount of obvious fruits, specifically berries, pear, apple.

So I think it is a combination of reasons: reducing sugars, eliminating sweeteners, increasing savoury dishes, increasing prebiotic rich produce, increasing antioxidants, learning portion control.

• posted by delmareproulx
    on

Hi there, avocado is really helpful for body.

Please log in or register to post a reply.