Fermenting

• posted by kathb
    on

I’m a bit daunted at the prospect…have watched the video….can’t figure out when/if to put water in the jar as it looks like you just pack chopped veg in the jar and knock down with rolling pin? And do you put the lid on the kilner jar or leave it open? If closed, do you have to open it from time to time to release gas?

• posted by Iniuk
    on

Which recipe are you trying?
    I’ve made several batches of purple sauerkraut, and it was easy. Cut up the cabbage, (saved a leaf for a lid) put it in a bowl with salt and seeds and pounded it with a bottle of vinegar until the juices ran. Added the other veges (grated) and pounded it all a bit more, then packed it in a glass jar and squashed it. The juice came up and covered it. I put the leaf on and weighed it down.
    Be brave, it’s easier than you think.

• posted by Clare (CG Admin)
    on

Hi Kathb – Yes, as Inuik says, it’s definitely easier than you think to do the fermenting! You are right – the lid does need opening at least daily for the first few days to release the gasses produced by the fermentation. The Purple sauerkraut recipe is on p257 of the book and talks you through the process in more detail. I hope your saurkjraut worked out. There is a nice recipe suggestionwhich has just been uploaded making the purple sauerkraut into a salad.
    all the best
    Clare

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Join fermenting friends facebook group; if in or near London I highly recommend “The Fermentarium” lovely people and the courses are excellent.

Please log in or register to post a reply.