Drinking with meals

• posted by Zagazoo
    on

I am interested if there is any advice as to whether drinking with meals has an effect on your gut health. I have seen advice to limit the amount of liquid taken with meals (e.g. drink 30mins before and 90 mins after).
    Is there any good evidence or research on this? I am guessing excess fluid may affect digestion

Cheers, Andy

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

None – absolutely none that I am aware of..but obviously it depends on what you drink! For instance there’s growing evidence that low-cal fizzy drinks (such as diet coke) which contain sugar substitutes actually pre-dispose you to weight gain and type2 diabetes in peer because they mess with your gut microbes

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

In general the best way to hydrate the body is little and often: large drinks ‘flood’ the blood and send the kidneys into overdrive. Don’t underestimate the amount of water IN a fruit and vegetable rich (seven to nine servings a day), reduced grain diet. The body can’t tell the difference between liquid in a meal or with a meal.

Rather than clock watching I would suggest listening to your body: it will tell you if a food item is dry, salty or spicy enough to need extra liquid. The Clever Guts Diet emphasises chewing food thoroughly, which may also affect how much liquid your body asks for.

• posted by Gillyloves ice cream
    on

Can anyone suggest a drink which contains no sweeteners or added sugar and isn’t a fruit juice. I don’t think it exists…..besides water which never quenches by dry throat.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Gillyloves icecream: Green tea, many herbal or fruit teas, coconut water, some coffee substitutes, cows or goats milk, some soya or nut milks, bone consomme or vegetable broth.

I hate plain water so do still have heavily diluted lemon squash, or diluted cranberry drink, complete with sweeteners. I watch intake of certain sweeteners which can make us MORE thirsty (known side effect)!

Consider why your throat is getting dry, you may be able to reduce or eliminate that. Maybe a chronic cough or medical issue, side effect of a prescription drug, general dehydration, smoking, dry air at home/ work/ car, current use of sweeteners or other food additives.

• posted by Seekingfacts
    on

Hi Graham do you make your own or purchase Kombucha?

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Yep we make our own Kombucha its great fun and easy to do. Take a look at Fermenting Friends facebook group. I also highly recommend The Fermentarium if you are London based

Please log in or register to post a reply.