Diet and Postcholecysectomy Syndrome

• posted by PCS Kate
    on

I have had an issue with significant spasms and recurring episodes of pain in my upper right quadrant, where gall bladder used to be, since having it removed (due to gallstones and pancreatitis) nearly five years ago. I end up having vasovagal response to spasms and passing out…most recently on bathroom floor resulting in broken nose. Numerous A & E visits as well as consultant appointments, including a syphincterotomy, have resulted to date in a diagnosis of ‘mystery’. One consultant wrote that on his report! I know I am not alone in having these kind of symptoms after having a cholecystectomy so it seems really odd that doctors here are so reluctant to identify that there are consequences of no longer having a gall bladder.

I think I have a variation of Postcholecysectomy Syndrom and am wondering what other people do diet wise to help themselves with this. It seems really strange that gastroenterologists are not able to discuss diet with me or only in a very condescending and ambivalent way …”eat a low fat diet”. I am interested to hear from others who may have similar issues and what works for them.

• posted by Zipperteedee
    on

Hi, I have had a lot of gut issues and my gall bladder and appendix removed after ( accident – crush injury long story) and I get pain in the gall bladder area too so I really feel for your frustration and just have sensitive gut in general at times. My gastroenterologist in Melb has been open minded re IBS and Fodmap but stumped after that … Stephen Brown – he was very helpful

I also take digestive enzymes after eating meat which helps and Iberogast and Psylium Husk also really helped

Please log in or register to post a reply.