AGEs is the abbreviation for 'advanced glycation end products'

• posted by The Snipe
    on

AGEs (advanced glycation end products) seems more than a little scary. I have to wonder if all the healthy fats in the mediterranean diet are really so healthy, taking AGEs into account. Does anyone know about this?

I’m a 69 year old woman with a long history of digestive issues. I live in Auckland, New Zealand.
    I purchased ‘The Fast Diet’, and immediately put the plan into action. I lost 3kg in two months without watching calories 5 days of the week.

My doctor did a full blood count recently and told me I needed to go on statins, as my cholesterol was 7.2., but I said no… I’d improve my diet. In the last few months, I’ve been researching nutrition online. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I bought and read Michael’s latest book, “The Clever Gluts Diet” and wow! An impressive and extremely worthwhile read.

I think I’ve decided on a combo diet. Starting with an FODMAP diet, then onto a combination of Paleo (unprocessed) and Mediterranean (red wine), while also doing the 5/2 Fast Diet.
    I also intend to make my own kefir, yoghurt, possibly sambuca and try my hand at sauerkraut etc.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

In lifestyle diseases/ ageing/ inflammation the type and amount of macronutrients (fats, proteins, carbohydrates) is important. Ditto the antioxidants in the diet.

Combining four diet plans with personal tastes, household budget and local food availability is highly likely to end in a poorly balanced, restrictive diet.

You mention very little that you are planning to consume (alcohol, probiotics from dairy), but nothing about the wide variety of food types that supply prebiotic fibres, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fatty acids for the health of all the organs (inc. Heart and gut) and to counterect inflammation.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

What most healthy eating plans have in common is cutting back hard on low nutrient or inflammatory carbs (sugars/ processed starches/ alcohol) and fats (omega-6s, some saturates) whilst increasing fibre and nutrient rich plants (veggies/ beans/ lentils/ seeds/ some nuts) and essential or anti inflammatory fats (oily fish/ organic eggs/ olives and avocados/ seeds/ some nuts/ cocoa/ more oily fish).

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

The Mediterranean diet specifically is rich in monounsaturated fats (olives/ avocados/ some nuts/ outoor reared dairy) and in omega-3 polyunsaturates (oily fish/ some seeds). There is also some of the only anti inflammatory omega-6 CLA (outdoor reared dairy and meat). A strong body of evidence supports the health benefits of these.

The Mediterranean diet also includes some fats that are unhealthy when consumed in excess: omega-6s (many nuts) and saturates (dairy/ land animal meats).

• posted by The Snipe
    on

Hi Firefox7275, The problem is conflicting information in regard to ‘healthy fats’ and animal protein. Drizzling olive oil over everything, eating cheeses and meats… sounds wonderful. But all these items have high levels of ‘advanced glycation end products’ (AGEs) and I have yet to find a table that lists average amounts of AGEs in unprocessed foods, such as a tablespoon of oil or one slice of wholegrain bread. I understand it’s a lot harder to measure AGEs than calories, but the amount the average person eats has been shown to cause mutation and changes in DNA. So this is no lightweight matter.

I’ve researched all the diets, Firefox, thoroughly, and I’ve tailored my own, based on my personal medical issues. I don’t need your patronising input on my diet. My main reason for being in this forum is to discover what others have learned about AGEs. It seems that we need to keep our daily AGEs intake to below 6000 – 7000, the body can’t cope with eliminating more than this. The average intake in the US is approximately 14500 per day.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

I am sorry you misinterpreted my post as being patronising. It was intended to convey concerns, based on my experience working in and studying healthcare, my last roles being in lifestyle (nutrition/ physical activity).

AGEs are only one factor in the overall impact of a wholefood or processed food, ditto individual macronutrients or micronutrients. Each nutrient and each food enhances or countracts the effect of other nutrients and foods.

In the Mediterranean diet serving sizes and types of cheeses and meats is restricted. There is a strong emphasis on fish and seafood which has a vrry different, complementary fatty acid profile. Different regions/ countries consume more or less extra virgin olive oil, but often pressed from their own trees and balanced with similar fats from wholefoods (whole olives, avocados, certain nuts).

In my career I saw only a handful of people eating a balanced and varied wholefood diet. Nome at all who were trying to combine eating plans. That includes co-workers, other health professionals, relatives, friends, even myself for periods of time! I have seen and felt the impact of restricrive, imbalancrd diets, abd wish for no more rhan to help others avoid or recover from that.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Please excuse the typos, this device won’t let me properly view or edit later paragraphs. :/

• posted by The Snipe
    on

@ Firefox. Firstly I should clarify that by stating I was intending to combine diets, all I meant was to take the best aspects of each. In no way am I intending to eat an imbalanced diet. Firstly, because of my gut problems, I am embarking on an elimination diet… The Low Fodmap diet, to see what is causing my issues. However, this is only a temporary phase. Secondly, because the Paleo Diet avoids foods that can cause food sensitivities, I have to take it into consideration if I find dairy or gluten to be the issue. That this diet damns all processed food is the big plus for me and if I discover sensitivities, incorporating it’s options may be the way to go.

However, the Mediterranean Diet is the ideal all-rounder for me, minus any processed food products and if I can tolerate carbs and dairy. I’m aware that red wine, fruits and vegetables can counteract the various toxins we ingest, but not if they are overwhelmed by bad eating habits. Cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil and avocadoes, for example, have a large AGEs content. All fats do, including healthy fats.

If the daily recommended intake of AGEs is around 7000 or less, adjusting our diets to this figure would obviously be the thing to do. Becoming aware of the AGEs content in foods is the place to start.

I have chronic gastritis. Apparently, I ruined my stomach lining with Ibuprofen. I had prepyloric lesions and moderate inflammation, although I feel it’s a lot better now, and I have diverticular disease with large and small mouthed diverticuli throughout my entire colon. This year, I have had problems since March. My doctor has no idea how to deal with it and tried me on pancreatic enzymes and Colofac without success. Her best advice is to let my gut heal by doing a liquids only for a few days, then introduce low fat dairy/bland foods (white bread etc), next is light protein such as eggs, fish and lean chicken. Fibre is the last thing to be re-introduced. I am having to do this sometimes several times a year. I believe there is something more to it than diverticulitis.

Trying to eat a well-balanced diet is next to impossible under these conditions. I need to be proactive and find out what’s behind it.
    Carbonated drinks; artificial sweeteners; sugar (for the most part); saturated fats and fruit juice have all been eliminated from my diet.
    I suspect food intolerances I don’t know about. I already know I can’t tolerate certain vegetables and fruits. For example, I can’t have chillies with skin and seeds, but I can tolerate a tiny amount of chilli powder. Capsicum has become a no-go, cranberries are a disaster. I can eat blueberries, a few grapes, one plum or fig, but dried fruits such as dates, sultanas, currants and raisins are diabolically bad.

My digestive system is slowly returning to my normal, which still isn’t good enough.
    I intend to try fermented foods and probiotics. I’m already using natural yoghurt and natural apple cider, which, incidentally has help my stomach amazingly well. Heartburn and indigestion disappears minutes after taking a tbsp with 100ml water. Also, it seems to be helping my sluggish digestion. My food was tending to sit in my stomach for hours, or at least it felt that way. Having a glass of water 2 hours after eating usually causes indigestion, so I suspect part of my problem may be low stomach acid. That may be because I had my gallbladder out years ago due to severe pain and gallstones. One year later I had a large gallstone lodged in my bile duct, which has probably damaged it.

There is so much conflicting information out there regarding healthy foods. I trust Dr Michael Moseley’s take on things, but he doesn’t mention advanced glycation end products’ (AGEs) at all. Maybe he feels the research is inconclusive. Although all the scientific studies I read said otherwise.

Please log in or register to post a reply.