Soy for R&R

• posted by on the up
    on

In the book the in the R & R section it says to avoid Soy in the R&R phase then over the page it says eat lots of high quality proteins including tofu/soy. So I am a bit confused whether I should be eating it or not. Can anyone point to some kind of clarification?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

I think they key is in the precise wording. Having said that, a previous thread – ‘Confused by Meal Plans’, Newbies forum – suggested there are two slightly different versions in circulation!

So from my copy

“Foods which commonly cause gut problems include gluten, dairy, eggs, soya …” (p.190)

“We don’t recommend removing too many foods at one time, so it might be helpful to do ‘Remove & Repair’ in several stages.” (p.190)

“Choose from fish, eggs, chicken, game red meat, soya, nuts, tofu, tempeh ….” (p.192)

This is particularly relevant to flexitarians, vegans, vegetarians and pescetarians. Without dairy, eggs, soya products, gluten grains AND pulses simultaneously, the diet would be restrictive to the point of needing medical supervision!

HTH.

• posted by on the up
    on

In my copy it’s the first sentence:
    Foods which commonly cause gut problems include gluten, dairy, eggs, soya
    then over the page:
    Choose from fish, eggs, chicken, game red meat, soya, nuts, tofu, tempeh

So the answer seems to be some people need to leave it out and some don’t?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Exactly so: consider your detailed food and symptom diary (p.187) and any previous experiences.

Some of us regularly consume soya products/ gluten grains/ cows dairy/ sweetened soft drinks/ coffee/ alcohol and others rarely do. Some have previously tried eliminating one or more suspect food types, and others are totally new to it. Some regularly eat oily fish or plenty of vegetables (but most of us do not!).

Where you were or are should help guide where you go next. Use your diary to help identify potentially problematic foods *for you*, but also to look at the balance and variety of your diet, between foods groups and within them.

HTH!

Please log in or register to post a reply.