Skin – has the link between the guts and the skin been investigated?

• posted by Tree top
    on

Does anyone know what to do about skin inflammation? 6 months ago I started having stomach pain and, after an endoscopy and various other tests, it’s still not clear why. Exactly coinciding with this, I have developed red, in places spotty facial skin. Reading the Clever Guts guide, I’m pretty sure it’s all linked and am DETERMINED to find the link and allow it to recover. Does anybody, please, know more…?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

What is the medical diagnosis for your skin issue? Certain forms of rosacea, acne and dermatitis look VERY similar. All are inflammatory, but very different in underlying cause and therefore treatment.

• posted by Tree top
    on

Thanks for your reply. My GP is busy trying to investigate my gut problem so hasn’t spent much time looking at my skin, unfortunately. I had assumed it was acne, related to something (toxins?) being produced by / not processed by my stomach since January; interestingly it’s almost entirely on my cheeks, so it feels as if there is a link to one particular cause. A friend said to recently me spots in the t-zone of the face are due to hormones, but on the cheeks they are caused by diet. This made me wonder! The facial skin is such an obvious part of the body, linked to self confidence etc, I’m interested in seeing if I can find a dietary answer here, which might also help others.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

The skin and gut are similar: both organs, both semi-permeable barriers, both coated in a layer of good (and bad) microbes. Diet absolutely affects both: efficacy of barrier, balance of microbes, nutrient deficiencies, inflammatory diet and lifestyle, allergies and intolerances (can develop at any time).

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Without a diagnosis for your skin or gut issues it will be very difficult to identify a single cause, BUT it is unlikely to harm to try an anti-inflammatory, gut friendly, *balanced and varied* wholefood diet.

In ‘Feed Your Face’ Dermatologist Jessica Wu advocates just such a diet for various skin issues.

Rosacea has been linked to Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) and Histamine Intolerance, both of which can be treated with diet. Coeliac Disease and Leaky Gut Syndrome may present as dermatitis.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

I have papulopustular rosacea: short lasting ‘pimples’ on bulb of nose and/ or inner cheeks under eyes, intermittent flushing on nose/ inner cheeks/ chin/ rarely ears. NO chunky blackheads in rosacea, as in regular acne. I had NO idea how often I flushed until after diagnosis so ask friends and family!

If this may fit you consider your oral/ dental health – bacteria in the mouth cause inflammation in the face, and can get into the body via swallowing, via bleeding gums or small cavities.

Lastly consider your past intake of oily fish for omega-3s and vitamin D. Your gut issues starting in winter may signify deficiencies.

HTH!

• posted by Tree top
    on

Thank you Firefox, that’s such interesting information. I think it sounds like Rosacea, from your description and a look on the NHS website. I’m delighted to hear about potential dietary links and a book on the topic. As it is apparent from just a quick look online, this is a common issue and a very sensitive one. I hope you find the diet answer which works for you, and I’ll investigate further too. Perhaps Dr Moseley might write his next programme on our largest organ – the skin… :0)

• posted by Tree top
    on

So sorry, not concentrating. Mosley!

• posted by Lovemyguts
    on

I was diagnosed as having Rosacea by my GP about 7 years ago. She prescribed antibiotics and various lotions & creams. The latter did not seem to help and I was very unenthusiastic about long term antibiotics. I read about sugar free diet for Rosacea on an American rosacea online forum, name of which I have forgotten. It made a huge difference and I have kept my sugar intake very low over the years since diagnosis, as well as avoiding high glycaemic foods since then. Occasionally I have been tempted by my great love of chocolates and very quickly I pay the price with the appearance of nasty pustules. A return to the straight and narrow of sugar free diet always succeeds for me. I hope that Tree top can find a dietary solution because it is a very unpleasant condition to have.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Thank you, Tree Top! I was fortunate to get diagnosed quite early. Rosacea is not curable but it is important to get treated before it progresses, to maximise remission and minimise flares. You have done well to identify your skin issue as inflammatory, and potentially linked to the gut problem.

Best results by far for me was overhauling my entire diet and lifestyle to be more anti-inflammatory/ gut healthy/ immune calming. Massively less alcohol and starchy carbs, massively more oily fish/ non-starchy vegetables/ low sugar fruits/ certain seeds and nuts, better sleep patterns (epic fail on stress management), targeted supplements.

I now believe my triggers (many not identified but def. alcohol, changes in temperature, all but the gentlest skincare) were ‘the straw that broke the camels back’ to a body in a chronic state of inflammation.

Last rosacea flare was February from a minor dental infection (= inflammatory chemicals floating around facial tissues). Vanished within two days of starting oral antibiotics (clarithromycin). Took a multi strain probiotic during and after.

Interestingly antibiotics are not all bad: recently licensed for long term use in rosacea *low dose* oral antibiotic (doxycycline). This is effective due to its anti-inflammatory ‘side effect’, it is too low a dose to kill bacteria (in skin or gut).

But ideally we rosaceans would be looking at what we can do to resolve the underlying cause of the inflammation (eg. identify and treat linked medical conditions, overhaul diet or lifestyle).

• posted by Lovemyguts
    on

Thanks to Firefox7275 for helpful and interesting info.

• posted by Tree top
    on

Hello Firefox and Lovemyguts,
    Thank you both so much for such illuminating information (sorry for such a slow response. Life with young kids leaves painfully little time for emails!). I’m so pleased to hear help and advice and am already a little obsessed with trying changes such as diet. Stress, as you say, Firefox, is so hard to minimise! I’ll re-read both your posts and add anything I can to the topic. THANK YOU!

• posted by Amywoowah
    on

I also have roseca which was diagnosed around 9 years ago after the birth of my first baby, I’ve had several creams from the GP which helped a bit but I’ve stayed away from antibiotics as I always felt it was detrimental to the rest of my system to take them. I’ve found anything for sensitive skin is really all I can use on my face as otherwise I get flare ups but since starting to incorporate the ‘clever guts diet’ in my life my skin has definitely improved. I’ve also convinced my doctor to let me try ivermectin cream a few months ago and this has been a real turning point for me. It made a big, big improvement in redness and pustules much better than anything I’d tried before. I use it as my moisturiser every morning and it’s rich enough for my dry patches but not oily so doesn’t make the spots flare up. My doctor hadn’t heard of it before for use for roseaca so I’d recommend anyone who is suffering to ask before going down the antibiotics route which may effect the microbiome of the gut. I’d also highly recommend Estée Lauder double wear as a fantastic oil free foundation that really covers redness, lasts all day and is oil free.
    Hope some of this is useful.

• posted by Tree top
    on

Thank you very much Amywoowah, that’s very useful indeed. I wonder if pregnancy can trigger Rosacea and whether it’s something gut related – definitely sounds like diet has been the key for everyone. I’m going to try the diet too :0)

• posted by Tree top
    on

Hello Firefox and everyone,
    You asked a while ago and now I have a diagnosis of Rosacea. I’ve been prescribed a topical gel (antibiotic unfortunately) but thinking about using my diet more than ever to help, instead. I’ve cut down on wheat, sugar, dairy and booze. Skin still bad but I’m guessing I need to cut them out 100% as per the diet…?
    Thanks again for all your help.

• posted by abird
    on

The skin tends to reflect what’s going on within.
    Karen Fischer’s “The Healthy Skin Diet” changed my skin issues and the way I thought about what I consume. It fits beautifully with Clever Guts and also got my naturopath friend’s seal of approval! I can’t recommend it highly enough. Has a specific chapter on rosacea too. All the best!

• posted by Tree top
    on

Brilliant, thank you abird, very grateful :0)

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Glad to read you now know another element of what you are trying to address! Diagnosis is so often the first battle of the war won. I think it partly depends what level you have cut down from and to, what sources you have cut and what you have retained, what you are replacing those foods with.

Over the short term
    the Clever Guts diet is about eliminating (and thereby identifying) our problem foods. But over the medium to long term it is about *increasing* variety of wholefoods, and thus increasing variety in our gut flora.

It should not be too hard to drop the major sources of processed wheat, added sugar, milk, processed cheese. MUCH tougher to remove all traces of gluten and sugar, since these are hidden in so many flavourings and ingredients.

Be sure to eat plenty of oily fish, organic eggs, seeds or nuts that are lowest in omega-6, extra virgin olive oil. The right balance of fats is anti inflammatory: direct impact on the gut, also incorporated into skin cells, hormones, immune cells over time.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Also be aware that rosacea is believed to be about hypersensitivity of the skin, and a faulty skin barrier.

If you have been treating for acne, or otherwise less than *super gentle*, there may be repair and recovery needed here. Consider everything that touches your face: water (quality/ temp/ frequency/ duration), skincare or cosmetics, haircare residues, hair removal products and techniques, anything on bedlinen, sunlight and even air (conditioning/ fans)!!

And as per earlier post consider oral and dental health, even minor gum issues/ light bleeding when brushing.

Hope that helps!

• posted by Tree top
    on

Thank you very much, Firefox and Graham. It’s difficult not to feel overwhelmed by the sheer number of factors affecting things like the skin – controlling everything is exhausting and…impossible! I will follow the link, Graham, I haven’t yet seen it :0)

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Just to add: There’s a lot of evidence now that fasting has a huge benefit to a raft of inflammatory conditions including inflammatory skin conditions.. Try it!

• posted by Tree top
    on

Very interesting article – sounds like a huge breakthrough. Very glad to hear about fasting, I’ve coincidentally been trying Dr Moseley’s 5:2 diet (well, 6:1 so far) so am hopeful I can support that evidence..! Thank you for the advice, it’s motivating and positive :0)

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Pleasure – let us all know how you get on..

Please log in or register to post a reply.