Red Wine – Migraine

• posted by Hayls
    on

Hi all,

I would very much like to incorporate a red wine into my diet here and there, however it gives me terrible migraines – does anyone know if there is anything I can do to stop this from happening?

• posted by Jaygo
    on

Hi,
    I used to suffer from headaches and could never get to the cause. I ended up being referred for an intolerance test (I did an Imupro test) and when I spoke to them they mentioned I might have a histamine intolerance. I did both the food intolerance test and the histamine intolerance test and found that I had a histamine intolerance as well as food intolerances. After modifying my diet I am happy to say that I rarely get headaches any more…( I did have to cut down on histamine rich foods and that made a huge difference.

• posted by Phoebe12
    on

Not sure if this is helpful, but I used to get migraines from red wine until I was through the menopause, when it stopped happening. If this is a long way in the future for you, perhaps drinking the wine diluted with fizzy water, as a kind of spritzer, might help?

• posted by MrsBear
    on

Many people seem to suffer raging headaches from just a small amount of red wine – myself included. There’s a lot of discussion about the sulphides in wine causing this and I have tried sulphide free wine which is great. Unfortunately it’s hard to come by and a lot more expensive than your average fiver a bottle merlot from tesco. Try organic wine which is a lot cheaper and easier to come by. I found the organic stuff a lot better too. The other thing someone mentioned was try taking an antihistamine tablet before drinking red wine. If you have an allergy to sulphidies this will reduce the headache effect – or perhaps it is linked to what Jaygo said about histamines. Obviously quantity affects the headache – if you overdo any alcohol you will get a headache caused by dheydration but it also seems that quality of wine can affect you.
    That’s just from my own personal experience and a few friends who have noticed the same intolerance to wine creeping in after years of drinking merrily away…perhaps its yet another sign of age and lifestyle taking it’s toll on the body. 🙁

• posted by JohnSwift
    on

Face similar problem and decide to refuse drinking alcohol in any form and it helps.

Please log in or register to post a reply.