Little confused!

• posted by Filobrien
    on

Hello! I’ve just purchased the clever guts book and have read it cover to cover twice so far. Great interesting read and all makes complete sense. My question is which of Michaels diets to do first? Or a combination of all? My husband has ibs but doesn’t need to lose weight in fact needs to gain weight. I on the other hand need to lose about 15-20kg. The BSD also sounds really beneficial likewise with the 5:2 fast diet? Wondering if it would be ok for my husband also to do intermittent fasting without the weightless??

Argh. As you can see in a bit confused as to where to start! Your advice would be much appreciated! Thanks fi.

• posted by Msara
    on

I have done the 5:2 diet and lost weight. My diet is now pretty much the mediterranean one described in the book.

My understanding is that If your husband doesn’t need to lose weight, he won’t need to reduce his calorie intake to 600 for two days, as the 5:2 diet suggests (You’d need to refer to the 5:2 diet book for that diet regime).

Nevertheless, when you cut down on the bad foods, weight loss is inevitable, although some people (like coeliacs) may find their bodies can digest and absorb nutrients better on the healthier diet and so may start gaining a little weight.

Delaying eating (as suggested in cleverguts book, helps wih losing weight and the portion sizes and types of foods in the recipes should also encourage healthy weight loss or at least discourage weight gain.

Also, if you are eating the diet that is right for you, then you should be able to maintain a healthier weight, though portion /calorie control should always be taken into account.
    I hope this helps?

• posted by Kelnic79
    on

I’ve read the book and I’m confused too, it has got the menu in the back but I’d prefer to make my own meals up if there was a list of good & bad foods, I have chronic ibs and I need to lose atleast 2 stone. I’ve done the 5:2 before and lost a little but I definitely don’t feel I should be the weight I am as I work out and all meals are home cooked, any advice or help is much appreciated thank you.

• posted by Filobrien
    on

Hello! Thanks so much for your advice, very helpful!!

Yes that’s correct my husband has chronic IBS but doesn’t need to lose weight at all but he was hoping to gain some of the health benefits touted with intermittent fasting.

Think what might work best is if we aim for 5:2 fasting for me but with 6:1 for him and higher calories on his 6 days. Not sure if the 16/8 would work very well for our lifestyles.

Will stick to the basic principles of the Mediterranean/clever guts food options.

Hmmm not ideal as was hoping for something really clean cut and easy to stick to and follow but feel as though tgis may take A LOT of planning?

Let’s see how it goes!
    Thanks
    Fi

• posted by Msara
    on

Hi Fi and Kelnic, I’m glad my advice is helpful.
    Yes it does initially take some planning and effort, but with the increase in energy you will feel, plus other health benefits, it becomes easier. It is really a lifestyle change rather than a conventional diet.

I find the fasting harder in the winter, but if you keep it up, even for just one day a week, then the momentum makes it easier. For each 500-700 calorie fast day per week, you tend to lose 1llb in weight, without as much effort and hardship as conventional dieting. So, in my opinion, it is worth the initial extra planning and effort.
    Following this diet regime also retrains your brain, because with these diet plans you know you have sufficient calories to sustain you though the day. So when you see TV ads etc. that make you WANT to eat things, you can tell yourself ‘actually I don’t need that I just want it’! So you begin to harness the power of cravings and will-power becomes less difficult to summon.
    The first week is definitely the hardest, but it does get easier. I find that after 3 weeks I am able to adapt to a new food regime. For me, the side effects/ symptoms from eating sugar, gluten and lactose maintained my determination to succeed and I felt, for the first time, in control. It was exciting restocking my larder with the healthy symptom-free products, so in turn, I felt more ‘special’ and happier. Good luck Madeleine

• posted by Msara
    on

Hi Kelnic. I found that I needed to make notes as I read through the book, as to which foods he recommended. However, if you Google the Mediterranean diet then you will see which foods are the ones that MM recommends. I would have liked calorie counts on the recipes, especially the treats.
    The aubergine choc brownies are yummie!
    Of course unless you get yourself tested you can’t be sure which foods are the best for your personal microbiome gut population.

I have been following ‘Deliciously Ella’ and the recipes in her books are also very healthy and unprocessed. Her books also contain useful sourcing/ ingredients information, but some people aren’t so enamoured with them.
    Good luck. Madeleine

• posted by Filobrien
    on

Thanks Madeleine!

Very inspiring to read I’ve read through twice now and went out and did a big healthy shop, cleaned the fridge out of all temptations and feeling positive.
    I’ve started both myself and husband off today with a gentle start so not necessarily to the letter or fasting but had gut friendly smoothie for brekky and the phyto salad for lunch! Feeling good.

Main issue I think will be getting enough calories into my hubby so he doesn’t lose weight or feel faint which often happens to him when not eating enough 🤣🤣!

What are some good snack ideas?
    Thanks Fi

• posted by Kelnic79
    on

So it’s basically the Mediterranean diet but dairy & gluten free?? I’ve being doing it since Tuesday not fasting just not eating refined carbs or snacking and I actually weigh 5lb lighter already I know it’s fluid but still feels good so I will be keeping it up 100%. Xx

• posted by Msara
    on

Yes I guess so. 5 lbs is good. I think they say weigh yourself on three days at same time of day to get an average then I guess you’ll know if it’s fluid or weight loss. Good luck.
    Madeleine

• posted by Msara
    on

Hi Fi
    That sounds good. Yes feeling fuller for longer is important.
    The 5:2 diet says 500 calories for women and 600 for men on fast days, but you can go over that slightly, wihotu being too rigid.
    Some days I’ve decided to have a low calorie day, instead, where i consume no more than 700 calories and I often still lose the 1lb per fast day, which is good.

Thinking off the top of my head- One tip is keep yourself occupied as the more you think about food, the hungrier you can feel and of course as diets are all about food then it’s going to be on your mind. Another piece of advice is to eat more slowly, as this tells your gut you are full.

Eating chunks of vegetables with skins on takes longer for the body to digest, so you feel fuller. Green veg have considerably fewer calories, so lots of lettuce, spinach and kale etc. will fill you up. grating raw veg including squash and sweet potato for salads also helps. crunchy veg is more filling than cooked soft veg.
    Sweet potatoes. Beans, lentils and peas and chickpeas added to salads.

Porridge oats and Chia seeds are good bulkers especially if added to smoothies. Raw, unblanched almonds and hazelnuts are a good snack, as the body only consumes half of their calories.

Soup and water fill you up, as does redbush, green tea. My favourites are Green tea with peach and cherry blossom and Rooibos with vanilla.

Apparently cinnamon helps feeling fuller for longer; Greek yoghurt or Kefir especially if you add uncooked oats, blueberries and raspberries; avocados or apples with cinnamon and a little honey.

Although snacking is discouraged in the clever guts diet book, if you’re out and about, almonds plus some dried apricots is a great go-to emergency snack to stop those cake/ pastry cravings.

If you are tired, you tend to crave sweet things.
    Eat your evening meal early, so that you are fasting between 7pm – 7am or 8pm – 8am helps, too.

You may know some of this already, but I hope this helps.
    Madeleine

• posted by Kelnic79
    on

Brilliant thank you for all the advice madeleine certainly helping xx

• posted by Msara
    on

Your are most welcome, Kelnic.

The Deliciously Ella cookbooks and website have some great recipe ideas, all healthy natural stuff, including treats and snacks, too.
    Madeleine

Please log in or register to post a reply.