gut health and the ocean

• posted by NSWswimmer
    on

Hello team Clever Guts.
    I have a question for MM and the research team, or anyone else who may know.
    Is there any science regarding gut health and exposure to the ocean? I am Australian and, like most of us here, we live on the coast and regularly swim in the sea. For me, and most of my friends and family, a swim occurs several times a week in the warmer months. I am keen to know if, like gardening, there is any influence from ocean water on our microbiota.
    Cheers from Sydney.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

You may find online news articles about the “Surfer Biome Project” interesting.

Do consider the impact of other aspects of a coastal lifestyle on your microbiome; not just soaking in (and accidentally drinking) ocean water, but also the frequency of physical activity, exposure to strong sunlight, the variety of oily fish and other seafood in the diet.

If any such habits are seasonal, it is likely that some of the changes to your microbiome will also be seasonal.

• posted by NSWswimmer
    on

Hello Firefox7275.

Thanks for your reply. That’s a great link and good additional considerations. There is certainly much complexity to external environmental influences on our gut. It seems as though if understanding the microbiome were a marathon, science has only lifted the first foot off the ground!

It’s pause for thought about our human influence on the ocean’s biome….

Please log in or register to post a reply.