Glycaemic Index and Glycaemic Load

• posted by Alan B
    on

Has anyone any ideas about or used GI and GL?
    If used, should the values be totalled for the day’s intake or averaged?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Did you perhaps intend to post this on the Blood Sugar Diet forums?

Some links here on Clever Guts transfer to the BSD website, and have caught me out!

• posted by Alan B
    on

The problem is if I consume four foods of GL 5 each and one of GL 20, do I average the values to give a value of 8 or do I total to give a value of 40?

• posted by Alan B
    on

Interesting read. It would seem that although the idea of GI & GL had good intentions, recent research has discounted it as a general aid to diet. It can vary too much between individuals to be of any practical use.
    I am considering deleting the info I have accumulated from my spreadsheets.

As far as adding all the GL results to give a total GL, I’m not so sure. In the example above, what does the total ’40’ actually mean? It does not indicate the ‘goodness’ or otherwise of the intake.

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Its an inexact science, at least for now. I general terms it makes sense tobito avoid high GI foods, especially in large and frequent quantities (unless you have shares in type 2 diabetes that is). But for any individual you really can’t tell what High GI is without knowing the makeup of your microbiota

• posted by GORDON WANLESS
    on

The Eran Segal video is a good introduction to Dr Barry Sears knowledge.
    Missing in his knowledge is blood (AA/EPA) test which predicts the individual’s pre-chronic illness condition,
    and which can be controlled by the addition of high -purity fish oil to the diet.
    It is because nowadays the populace blood has low levels of DHA/EPA and high levels of Omega 6 that chronic illnesses
    are now so prevalent.
    kindest regards

Please log in or register to post a reply.