Fluoride and microbiome

• posted by lthoo
    on

Does anyone know of any credible evidence regarding the effect (if any) of fluoride on the microbiome?

I have previously been very comfortable with the available evidence that fluoridated water and toothpaste are safe and effective public health measures.

But with increasing insight into the importance of a healthy microbiome, I’d really like to know whether fluoride impacts gut microbes. I’ve searched and asked widely over the last year or so but have found nothing at all.

As the mum of a 2 year old boy now, I’m torn between the known protective effects of fluoride on oral health and the unknown impact of regular fluoride dosing on his gut bugs.

Surely someone has researched this, given the multiple daily doses of fluoride-treated water in the average western person’s diet.

Does anyone here know if Dr Moseley or any of the experts he consults has commented on this?
    Or know of any other credible research?

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Yes: fluoridation is healthy and evidence based; there’s no credible suggestion that it adversely affects the biome

• posted by lthoo
    on

Thanks Graham.
    Unfortunately it seems there’s no credible suggestion that it adversely affects the biome because there’s an absence of investigation or evidence either way.

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Perhaps but it inconceivable that water fluoridation would be introduced at scale with out monitoring the benefits and risks. The results of any significant dysbiosis would have been picked up decades ago.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Have you tried PubMed and/ or the broader topic of ‘gut’ not just the microbiome? Not a solid body of evidence as you have found, but you may find some of the abstracts interesting/ useful.

You have just added to my reading list! My younger sibling and I took fluoride supplements in childhood (local tap water not fluoridated). We both have fluorosis; I had eight porcelain veneers fitted around the age of 20. Neither of us needed a cavity filled until our mid thirties.

Despite my work background neing healthcare, I had all but forgotten about the impact – positive or negative – of fluoride on my general wellbeing/ health.

So thanks for the reminder!

Please log in or register to post a reply.