Damage from repeated anti biotics

• posted by sixtyplus
    on

I am worried about a young friend who has to have repeated antibiotics due to repeated episodes of bladder & kidney infections. What’s the best course of action to stop these ongoing infections? I can’t help wondering why doctors don’t look into this problem properly. They just keep on doling out the antibiotics.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Antibiotics are the appropriate medical treatment for such bacterial infections. Kidney infections can be particularly serious if not treated promptly. Other unpleasant possible outcomes of leaving a bladder infection untreated include interstitial cystitis.

As regards further investigations, a doctor should request a urine sample for testing. Has this not been done?

There is advice on reputable websites (eg. UK NHS, relevant charities) about how to reduce the risk of reinfection. This advice relates to sexual intercourse, general intimate hygiene and keeping hydrated. Some find cranberry drink (no added sugar, check the percentage juice) helpful. These are to be done alongside any prescribed treatment not instead of.

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

How old is your friend? Male or female? How many courses of antibiotics and which ones? Are there any other medical problems? For example an early sign of type2 diabetes CAN (I stress CAN) be repeated urinary infections. We’d need some specifics to be more specific in our answers! Hope that helps?
    Graham

Please log in or register to post a reply.