Yogurt

• posted by KML
    on

As mentioned in the book and by others in the forums, the Clever Guts website is supposed to have a list of the best yogurts to buy. Where is the list of yogurts?

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Don’t need to buy! Get some Kefir grains from the internet (fermenting friends, Facebook) and make your own. Simples! If not then get some Kefir from your nearest Polish shop..

• posted by HollieG
    on

I’m new to making yogurt. Should I start it off with shop bought bio yogurt or the granules you can buy? Can anyone give me some tips and possibly recommend a yogurt maker? I’ve seen a few on Amazon. I’m a bit confused.

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

I’ve recently started making my own yogurt again, or rather, trying to make yogurt like I used to. I just can’t get it to set as firmly as I used to, and it’s always gloopy, even when I keep it warm with a waterbath.
    I’m increasingly getting the idea that it might be due to the shop bought yogurts (I’ve tried loads, including Yeo Valley) being pasteurised, so not having any/enough/the best bacteria/yeasts.

I’m not going to try the ‘one off’ sachets that e.g. H&B sell, but I will probably eventually get round to getting a heritage variety ‘starter’. I am curious about GrahamSPhillips’ comment, though. Can you really use kefir granules to make yogurt? What is it like, gloopy, lots of water, curdy, firm set?

• posted by Topaz
    on

Has anybody used a coconut yogurt starter to make coconut yogurt at home?

• posted by Nopalito2011
    on

Did you get the list?
    I want it to:)

• posted by Fivenations
    on

The easiest yogurt to make is one that doesn’t require a lot of heat – made with a Mesophilic culture. Ive just started making one with a Caspian Sea starter. I just wrap it ( kilner jar) in a towel and keep it in my bedroom as that’s the warmest place in the house other than the airing cupboard. It’s not as thick as some commercial yogurts but tasty and they say the bacteria it in survive further down your gut than many others.

Please log in or register to post a reply.