When to start, having a colonoscopy

• posted by RebNewt
    on

Hi, I’m due to have a colonoscopy in the coming weeks and want to start this diet.
    I’ve been eating this way mostly anyway….but thought after colonoscopy would be a good way to really start building back a healthy gut.
    I need to do their white food regime in the lead up to procedure…just looking for advice on when I should start this….straight after colonoscopy??
    Thanks

• posted by pratski
    on

I too am having a colonoscopy and endoscopy next Thursday and I assume it will wipe all biomes. I wonder what would best thing to do with a totally empty gut for rapid recovery??

• posted by tokyo14
    on

hi i am having the capsule endoscope tomorrow and spent a day today having bowel prep!!! would be interested to see what michael says about starting the diet
    would be good for some advice

• posted by Izbiz1227
    on

How has everyone got on? I’m having colonoscopy tomorrow, then I have eight days until going on holiday to rebuild. I’ve planned to try and eat as much of the good stuff as I possibly can before I go away! Lots of endive, leeks, chickpeas etc.

Slightly disappointed that there’s no answer here on whether bowel cleansing procedures have a horrendous affect, or whether biome bounces back happily and quickly?

• posted by Izbiz1227
    on

It’s just a routine screening, due to family history – there’s nothing “wrong” with me other than my genes! And it went well, nothing found at all. I’m trying to eat as many of the foods in the book as possible, with the exception of sauerkraut at the moment – I’m about to go on holiday (camping), so don’t want to start a batch if I can’t refrigerate it!

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Deffo worth following Michael’s diet but bare in mind that without mapping your microbiome you’re steering blind to a large extent

• posted by watermeadows
    on

I would really appreciate some good advice on what prebiotics and probiotics to eat/take post colonoscopy next week. Am already following principles of clever guts andTim Spector’s advice for a year now – but am getting a lot of bloating and gurgling noises in bowel. Would really like to use this as good opportunity to seed microbiome in best possible way.

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Have you got Tim Spector’s book? There’s a page where he describes what he ate post colonoscopy to regrow a healthy biome. If you are getting bloating and wind then maybe you are adding too much fibre too quickly. But the only real way to know is to have your microbiome analysed together with your diet and lifestyle

• posted by watermeadows
    on

Thanks for this. I find Tim Spector’s description in the Diet Myth very limited, no idea of quantities or proportions. Surprised there is no mention of kefir or breakfast sort of ideas. My symptoms are recent. I have been following a pretty high fibre diet for years. Tweaked it with adding in ferments a year ago.

• posted by watermeadows
    on

Fascinating video link. Thanks GrahamSPhillips.

• posted by AARA
    on

Hi All,

I would just like to offer a word of caution when it comes to my experience of a colonoscopy. There are very valid reasons for a colonoscopy and if you need one for suspected bowel cancer of something equally serious then stop reading now just accept the Doctor’s advice.

If you are having it done as a routine screening and when you have nothing apparently wrong I would not touch one with a barge pole, or even for a very large financial incentive, based on my own personal experience.

Prior to my colonoscopy and a course of something called Heliclear (2 different antibiotics plus a third drug, a proto pump inhibitor) I had IBS and piles and that was it. Within 6 weeks of the Heliclear in 2004, I was so ill I had to give up my paid employment permanently and have never recovered. At the 6 weeks post Heliclear point the GP diagnosed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME. At the 4 months after Heliclear point Fybomialgia was added to the diagnosis. Six months after Heliclear arthritis was added to the list. It took almost 2 years to get a diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis in mid 2006. 18 months after the Heliclear both wrists were completely fused. Within 6 months for my RA diagnosis I was trying to walk with a hole all the way through my pelvis and the hip joint was replaced. Before 2009 was over both hips and both knees were replaced and half way through 2010 an upper body surgeon wanted to begin replacing both shoulders and both elbows.

Do you really want to take the risk of messing with your microbiota just for a routine screening when you have nothing wrong.?

It took until 2014 before they found a drug to stop the progress of my disease, which has left my skeleton in rather a mess to understate the obvious. By 2014 I was on 10 prescribed medications ever month and attending my local hospital at 4 weekly intervals, for a biological infusion similar to chemotherapy drugs. Most of my hair has fallen out. By 2015 my GP wanted to add at least another 3 different types of medication to the list each month.

I have spent the last 2 years or so attempting to wean myself off the toxic combination of prescribed medication after two additional medications had been tried and nearly cost me my life.

In June 2016 I began to read about gut health, probiotic, prebiotics, Microbiome and Microbiota. I have a long way to go, but I have now been medication free for 20 weeks and just keep going from strength to strength. For me that means having the energy to write this or read rather than slumped in a chair with the TV on and unable to concentrate. Yes I am a very long way off well, but finally my sense of well being is moving in a positive direction.

Please please do not muck up your gut health without a very good reason.

Wishing you all a healthier Clever Gut.

AARA

Please log in or register to post a reply.