When to drink fermented liquids?

• posted by BubbleGuts
    on

Should we be drinking things like kefir and kombucha on a full or empty stomach. I originally thought it would be better on a full stomach, as the live products would have more chance getting through the stomach acids if they were protected by the food (I think I imagine a bubbly vat of acid, which the solids would help dilute). But perhaps it would be better on the an empty stomach, as liquids are allowed through quickly, and it is the solids that are fully mixed in the high pH stomach environment. Have I been murdering my live food?

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

It really doesn’t make any difference but fluids do exit the stomach into the small intestine faster than solids. Bottom line? Eat healthily, eat a rainbow of colours plus healthy fats and lean protein. Minimise sugars, carbs and avoid processed foods. Include pre and probiotic fermented foods like Kefir, Kombucha, Sauerkraut and you’re microbiota will do the rest!

• posted by BubbleGuts
    on

Graham, thanks for your advice. What do you base your assertion, that it doesn’t matter if I drink kefir with an empty or full stomach, on?

Please log in or register to post a reply.