What to eat sauerkraut with?

• posted by Food58
    on

I’ve made a batch of red cabbage-based sauerkraut and I’m working my way through it but I eat it like medicine, I don’t enjoy it but it is very beneficial for me and eases my main problem which is constipation.How do the rest of you eat it? To make it more palatable I have started to mix my daily dose up with grated apple and that is better. I’ve just made a second batch with red cabbage, carrot, beetroot and apple in the hope that this second lot will appeal more to my pallet. Any ideas and comments?

• posted by siancybi
    on

Hi, how did this new batch of sauerkraut made with the mix of vegetables & apple turn out? I too tend to feel it’s like eating medicine & not finding it enjoyable. I’m rather afraid to try mixing things up, I’m not sure if it would ferment properly.

• posted by Foubert
    on

When I started to make sauerkraut about two years ago, I wasn’t that keen on it, but now I love it. It’s definitely an aquired taste.
    Since I have been eating it regularly, feel fuller, have far fewer sugar cravings, and find it much easier not to over eat.
    Try adding spices. My favourite is cumin seeds. I buy them (an many other spices) in bulk from a local Indian shop where they are in cellophne bags of 100g -500g not in homeopathic quantities in minute expensive glass jars.
    I eat it with my main meal – just add it to the other veg. Important to eat it raw though, to get the all important lactobacilli that ferment the veg.
    My advice is keep eating it, and with luck the same things might happen to you. Good luck!

• posted by Renkirtley
    on

I like to pair mine with a good German Bratwurst and make a meal of it!

• posted by Nefertiti
    on

I agree it’s an acquired taste so just eat a little frequently rather than a lot all at once and hopefully it will grow on you. I didn’t like yogurt once but now I love it, same with broccoli.
    You could try adding it to other dishes so it’s disguised a bit too eg chilli, curry, stir fry etc.
    🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.