What can I substitute?

• posted by J5e
    on

Hi,
    I have been diagnosed with Leaky Gut so there are quite a few things I can’t eat. The more I eat something the less my gut likes it. I tried Paleo for 2 years and although it was good for a while I now can’t eat almonds or egg white. Which added to my life long dairy protein intolerance and legume intolerance is quite restrictive. I am giving this a good go and writing out my shopping list.

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Hmm So how was your leaky gut diagnosed and by whom? Have you had your micro biome mapped? That’s the obvious next step methinks… Graham

• posted by J5e
    on

I have been seeing bio medical GP. I had my poop, wee, blood everything tested. He told me I had a leaky gut and I am taking compound capsules of vitamins and minerals designed to rebalance my body and heal my gut.

• posted by J5e
    on

No mapping, don’t know where to go for that.

on

I have to say that doesn’t sound like a reliable diagnosis. While I’m not opposed to supplementation in principle, it all depends upon what you are supplementing and why? If you follow the advice in Michael’s book 90% of the time do you really need supplements or are you wasting your money?

The point about the mapping is this: unless you know the balance of your microbiome (its hugely individual) then you are steering blind:

• posted by J5e
    on

That video sounds really good, how far along are they into making the system available. I have been warned about people who don’t really know what they are doing in regards to mapping. How do you find someone good? The process I have been going through with my doctor is not without merit though. I have been able to come off my anti depressants which I was on for years. The soles of my feet were covered in hives long after they would disappear from the rest of my body. I had forgotten what the soles of my feet were supposed to look like. Now I am not itching and scratching everywhere all the time and rarely have hives on my feet at all (the first place they always started). I am at a stage now where I can think about the next change which is food and wanting to get it right once and for all.

• posted by J5e
    on

I have obviously cut out everything that I reacted too and no longer need to carry an epipen with me at all times.

on

The DAYTWO service is currently available only in Israel and USA. AFAIK there are no plans to extend this to UK any time soon. In my view the best option (because of the quality of information and advice) of the UK options is map my gut. If you take a look at their website you can download a specimen report.

• posted by J5e
    on

I live in Australia so don’t know if that will work. May I ask Graham, are you replying to me to be helpful or are you part if the Clever Guts etc organization ?

on

Hi J5E no, I’m not “part” of Clever Guts. But I do think its excellent. I’m an independent community pharmacist based in the UK, with a fascination for longevity and health. FWIW I did ask if I could have my biome mapped by DAYTWO when I was in Israel recently but they were reluctant because each country has a characteristic micobiota of its own so mine wouldn’t fit. I know UBiome offer the service in various countries but I assume they have country-specific results.

Please log in or register to post a reply.