Ulcerative collitis

• posted by Slaura
    on

Hello, does anyone here suffer from inflammatory bowel disease IBD (ulcerative colitis(UC) or crohns disease) rather than IBS? My daughter-in -law has UC and is currently in hospital again. I feel that the key to her staying well is through maintaining a healthy gut microbiome but does anyone know if the clever guts diet is suitable for her? She is only 23 and was diagnosed about 10 months ago and this is her 3rd flare up already. I would really like to help her.

• posted by Wilf Woodman
    on

I can’t offer any clinical advice as I’m a tree surgeon not a bowel surgeon. However, I do have UC and its limited to my lower bowel so I guess that makes me lucky. I’ve had no medication in the four years since being diognosed and have had a number of flare ups. I was told that diet won’t change things, only having different partents would help!
    My findings and experience over the last four years are as follows. Stress and sleep definitiely make things worse. Stay clear of spicy food and instant coffee, they both make my guts gurgle. Stopping all alcohol is very beneficial and I’ve found that it can sometime send it into remission completely. Alcohol must be really bad for you because the effect of stopping was quite dramatic with me. Although I still allow my self a G&T or some red wine. I’ve also tried Gluten Free and followed the Clever Gut Diet advice which also helped. Dropped the white bread and increased my intake of fibre and yoghurt and fruit and oily fish. I mix Turmeric in with yohurt, honey, apple and granola…..sounds yuck but I love it now.
    Good luck and I hope she start feeling better soon.

• posted by Pam1954
    on

Hi Slaura

I have no personal experience of ulcerative colitis, but a friend has suffered from it for many years. The best treatment he found was recommended by his consultant who wanted to follow his progress over time. This was one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil every day. He has followed it faithfully for ten years and never had a flare-up in that period. Checks show a vast improvement in his condition. I think its worth a try.

• posted by Slaura
    on

Hi Wilf,

Thank you for replying to my request. That was strange advice you got about partners! You’ve clearly experimented a lot to find what works for you. It does seem to be very individual but some common themes seem to arise when you talk to lots of suffers. She’s already cut out coffee and spicy food and she’s pretty teetotal anyway. I think the turmeric and oily fish will be worth her trying and I agree with you on the evils of white bread (even for healthy people). I will pass your experiences and advice onto her so thanks you very much.

• posted by Slaura
    on

Hi Pam, thank you for replying to my request. It seems that a daily dose of olive oil has worked well for your friend so I’ll definitely pass on the tip to my daughter-in-law so thank you very much.

• posted by Maxs
    on

Hi Slaura, I was diagnosed about 6 years ago, mild lower bowel. I agree with Wilf that alcohol is not good, particularly spirts and white wine for me. A glass or two of red wine is ok, but a not during a flare up. Since I started looking at the Clever Gut regime thinks have drastically improved and I felt my system within a couple of weeks was going back to ‘normal’. Had a major lapse after big night out with too much red wine followed by a take away Chinese (you can take a horse to water…), took three 3 or 4 days to get back on track. Cut out bread and pasta made with wheat, also dairy, although bringing that back in gradually, increased oil fish, which I love and regular use of turmeric. Reading some of the dietary tips for UC are quite depressing as they seem to cut out anything that looks health and has fibre in it. I’m pretty sure my gut bacteria was wrecked a year or so before I was diagnosed when I had a serious leg infection and ended up on IV antibiotics for 7 days and then oral for 6months. I’m determined to get my bacteria back and get rid of UC. Do lots of yoga and swimming and generally try to keep fit. Will keep you posted. Maxim

• posted by Texidee
    on

Hi Slaura, I’ve suffered the same disease all my life. I have regular colonoscopies and have followed the FODMAP diet. I highly recommend it. It was developed by an Australian university, and I believe Dr Mosley recommends it here too. I’ve only just started reading the book. You can purchase the FODMAP app for a low price, it’s easy to use and gives you a thorough guide of foods to avoid and then try re introducing, plus a meal plan and recipes. There are so many foods that I didn’t know caused terrible problems, such as corn! When having a flare up, I often follow their initial one week meal plan, it’s almost like a good detox. I start feeling better within a few days. I’ve learnt what my trigger foods are and avoid as much as possible. Best of luck to your Daughter in law, I empathise with her pain.

Please log in or register to post a reply.