Turmeric in Sauerkraut

• posted by Rowan
    on

Hi I have fresh turmeric daily, I usually add it into my yoghurt or sprinkle on fried vegetables & eggs as it is oil soluble. I will have to try the turmeric sauerkraut recipe. Just trying my first batch of sauerkraut.

• posted by Shuggieg
    on

I also take turmeric daily in the form of golden paste. As stated in the article the body can’t absorb turmeric directly which is why you need to ‘smuggle’ it in with oil and black pepper. But the sauerkraut recipe only includes black pepper so just wondered if that is sufficient to absorb the turmeric.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Shuggieg: Various nutrients and antioxidants are absorbed or utilised best in the presence of other nutrients. Iron and vitamin C, lycopene and beta carotene with fat, calcium magnesium and vitamin D for example.

If (for the most part) you eat a properly balanced and varied wholefood diet, and properly balanced and varied meals, you should benefit from each nutrient and antioxidant.

Regular meals without fat would be pretty miserable affairs. The fat can be from oily fish, whole eggs, traditional cheeses, seeds, nuts, dark chocolate, avocado, olives, coconut, salad dressing, curry sauce … Hopefully you have at least one of these with each meal?

• posted by Shuggieg
    on

Thanks Firefox, I have a well balanced diet using Michael Mosley’s Blood Sugar Diet. I lost 3 stone in 3months and reversed my prediabetic condition. My question about the kraut recipe is whether the turmeric can be absorbed by the body in absence of oil. I take my daily turmeric in the form of preprepared golden paste but thought the kraut would be an additional way of taking it.

Please log in or register to post a reply.