Sweet

• posted by GeorgieGM
    on

Hi there, I am changing what I eat bit by bit and have been doing some recipies in the book.
    I am looking for healthy and very easy to make sweet chocolate type or cake, muffin, flapjack type food. There is one in the book I like but I can’t stand sultanas or raisins and it looks complicated. I can just about stomach dates I think. I want to be able to make a batch of something that will keep for a week and I can take with me on the go.
    I love the seaweed muffins but they are not sweet.
    I do have difficulty with cooking due to a condition so it needs to be easy to do with not too many complicated ingredients or steps.

Big ask I know! Worth a try… thank you.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Key to the success of Clever Guts is breaking our reliance on (or addiction to) sugar, processed grains, sweet meals, baked goods, and on snacking. The meals and recipes are intentionally savoury, or at least not overly sweet. Do re-read the relevant sections in the book, especially pages 150 to 155.

Porridge oats used for flapjacks are heavily processed: they are cut, steamed and dried, losing quite a bit of their fibre in the process. Unfortunately the high-fibre truly wholegrain alternatives (eg. jumbo oats, steel-cut oats) don’t easily stick together in a bar.

I would not suggest forcing yourself to eat high-sugar dried fruit that you do not actually like. Having said that you might try unsweetened dried pear, sour cherries, golden sultanas all of which have a much more complex ‘fruitier’ flavour than regular raisins, brown sultanas or dates. You can also get a host of berries freeze-dried.

If you have a good Middle Eastern/ Indian/ Pakistani grocers in your area you should be able to find skinless roasted aubergine pulp in a can or jar, though I would check for salt. Alternatively make a triple batch of aubergine pulp and freeze it, reducing the steps in the brownie recipe. An alternative to aubergine in brownie recipes is cooked beetroot. A good food processor is a Godsend for easier chopping and mixing.

For simplicity consider 85% or 90% cocoa dark chocolate as it comes. OR melting 85% or 90% chocolate over your choice of: cacao nibs, chia seeds, cracked linseeds, sliced almonds, toasted chopped hazelnuts, finely chopped dried fruit, freeze-dried berries. Or you might melt the chocolate over the ‘Nutty Cinnamon Granola’ (p.198) if you make that.

Lastly in the ‘Clever Guts Diet Recipe Book’ there is ‘Chocolate & Walnut Bites’ (p.202) and in ‘The Fast 800 Recipe Book’ there is ‘Fudgy Chocolate Bars’ (p.233) but, again, these are clearly marked as occasional treats.

Sorry if I haven’t really helped!

• posted by GeorgieGM
    on

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I will look into it…

Please log in or register to post a reply.