Skin Conditions and Clever Guts (and maybe a bit of Seaweed)

• posted by AlexandraD
    on

I’ve just started Clever Guts to try and help with Perioral dermatitis on my face. An outbreak can last for months and I read (somewhere) that gut bacteria can help with this. After reading the book I started the diet, not really doing the meal plans but cutting out all the recommended things for Phase 1: bread, gluten, processed sugar, alcohol (not that I’m a drinker anyway) and grains; whilst increasing variety of fruit and veg and adding in fermented foods. After a week I feel an enormous difference, even though my goal wasn’t to lose weight, I lost 4lbs and continue to feel a lot lighter and less bloated. I am more regular and following a bumpy first week of sleep, have started to get more restful shuteye. However, my skin, whilst not always inflammed, is still very dry and cracked on and around my lips. So 3 days ago, following the seaweed thread, I decided to introduce 4g of dried (then rehydrated) Wakame. If anyone else has tried this or other things to help with the skin it would be great to know how you’ve got on.

• posted by AlexandraD
    on

A little update for anyone else trying this.. After 4 days of eating seaweed my skin has cleared up (following being infammed / dry / cracked for 4 weeks now). I’m not sure if this is concidence or as a direct result of the seaweed. I’ll keep updating this (for my own benefit too!).

• posted by GJane
    on

Hi Alex

How is your skin doing now? Are you still using seaweed? I have recently begun exploring my gut health to reduce chronic inflammation of my skin and eczema alongside Chinese herbs and acupuncture.

I’ve cut gluten, dairy, massively reduced sugar and alcohol and take a probiotic. All of which appear to be working for me.

Best Wishes

Jane

• posted by Claudiayurveda
    on

Dear Pia, I wrote you from Italy I read about you and seaweed supplements on the book of dr Mosley. I hope it will be helpful for my son, psoriasis…do you ship also to Italy? Thank you so much

Please log in or register to post a reply.