Seaweed?

• posted by Iolosdad
    on

It’s not something my green grocer sells, do I have anything to gain by buying supplements in the healthfood shop? And if so which strength and how much is beneficial ?

• posted by Steve Maggs
    on

I bought some yesterday in my local health food store. A fresh version from the fridge, plus dried seaweed (the kind of thing they use to wrap around Sushi). I can get it also from Sainsbury’s if you are in the UK.

• posted by fatrabbit
    on

I buy dried seaweed at Tesco and put it in hot water with a teaspoon of marmite to make an cheap version of miso soup. It is great for getting you through fast days without spiking insulin.

• posted by Iolosdad
    on

Think I’ll try the dry Steve I’m in the UK and have started using Ocado – it says they also sell kefir and fermented sauerkraut but seeing the price and we love sauerkraut I might start making our own👍

Fat rabbit – great name lol I love miso so will give marmite a try thanks

I just wonder if supplements are worth it or just a waste of money ?

• posted by Elise Mann
    on

I find the dry stuff all over the place – most large supermarkets for example, often with other things like dried onions and mushrooms, sometimes with supplies for making Japanese or other oriental food. If you have any shops near you which do oriental supplies, look there as you’ll find LOTS of different kinds, and some dried in very thin strips for snacking on – I’ve introduced the youngsters at work to this and they love it, it’s much better for them than crisps (but look out for some brands which have added sugar). Add the dried to all kinds of things, sprinkle on pasta or rice dishes, add to stews or soups, gives an umami sort of taste and you can leave out some or all of the salt as there is some in the seaweed itself.

• posted by Pia Winberg
    on

If you get the seaweed in your diet then that is all you need – like for all things nutritional. But seaweed capsules are good when you can’t keep up with nutrition through food intake or want to concentrate and fill in your nutritional gap that is missing – like prebiotics. So things that you know you aren’t getting enough of (and the west is 50% deficient in dietary fibres), then quality capsules with evidence behind the effects will help. But the easiest way is to keep a jar of dried seaweed by the stove and just throw a little bit into everything – not just the miso soup – unless you eat miso soup everyday!

• posted by Boofla
    on

Are there good and bad types of seaweed fibre supplements to look out for?

• posted by Pia Winberg
    on

Well you are asking a supplier of seaweed food and capsules – so my answer would be yes! But for you to be able to make your own informed decision, you would have to have trust in the brand/company (there are many supplement companies that are not trustworthy as it is a notoriously unregulated market, but then there are good ones), then you will need to look for the evidence behind the active ingredient (the company should lead you to research from their website to demonstrate the benefits), and you will want to know that it comes from a clean and well managed coastline (seaweed can suck up industrial pollutants that you don’t want). The main issue is that this is such a new area of rediscovered knowledge, the markets and products have not kept up. There are a number of simply milled seaweeds in capsules on the market, but not many yet with the concentrated dietary fibre component with science behind it – but watch this space as there will be soon. Importantly if you buy any seaweed in capsules or powdered form as a supplement and it seems to be a brown kelp, then you just need to make sure that you are not overdosing for iodine. Some kelps concentrate iodine from seawater way too much for them to be edible in quantities everyday that make it useful as a dietary fibre (notably Kombu (Laminaria or Sugar kelp)). These are still good sources for trace elements, and they can have certain pigments (phenolics), that can also be good for the gut in other ways than the fibres. But the source and the function of the supplements should be made clear by the company/brand. Many other seaweeds from clean coastlines you can eat abundantly and they don’t accumulate iodine so much, notable the green, sea lettuce types. A little bit of seaweed every day in anything you can is a good practice, and supplements can help too, but ask the company to give you the information you need to trust them.

• posted by Blueskies
    on

Dear Pia

Where/how can I buy your seaweed capsules?

• posted by LCB
    on

Dear Pia,
    I would like to get your seaweed capsules too. Information or a link please.
    LCB

• posted by Iolosdad
    on

I googled her name and found her website http://www.phycofood.co would be a massive amount of air miles to bring them to the UK

• posted by JoMarie
    on

So fabulous to see you on here Pia. I am a student at ACES so have seen your presentations and played with some of your lovely smelling seaweeds in the lab. and now I’m reading about you in Michael’s book. My worlds are colliding. I think I’ll have to come and visit you and find out when the capsules will be available. In the meantime I love your idea of sea weed by the stove. Do you have any recommended local suppliers or can we buy at your “cellar” door ?

• posted by Pia Winberg
    on

Hi JoMarie and nice to see that the seaweed circle is closing.

For sure with your locality you can just email me and you will know where to find us. I am often up doing research at iC anyway so that can work too. But we will have products online within the month too – so watch this space. Including for the UK for those further afield – we will have some delivery solutions worked out soon.

Best
    Pia

• posted by Kajsa
    on

Hi,
    Is there any negative effect done if heated I.e including the capsule content in food (trying to get my children to eat them)?
    -really pleased to see they will be available in the U.K. Soon!!

Kajsa

• posted by JCA
    on

Hi Pia. I was interested in the section in Michael’s book which refers to the trial you carried out which included a psoriasis sufferer (I have it mildly). It would be great to know what type of seaweed I should be looking for? You mention in an earlier post that Kombu contains too much iodine to be consumed every day but the link on Michael’s website takes me to Kombu (Emerald Isle Seaweed). If you have time, any information would be great. Many thanks.

• posted by BalanceYour.Life
    on

I’m also interested in buying the seaweed capsules in the UK

• posted by Pia Winberg
    on

Hi to those that are interested in the capsules – we are very excited to see the interest and are just completing our second part of the clinical study at the University of Wollongong, Australia, to look at reconfirming the effect we saw on some of the psoriasis type skin sufferers in our first study. We hadn’t recruited people specifically for that type of disorder in the first study, but simply on risk factors for pre-diabetes (see https://www.anzctr.org.au/Trial/Registration/TrialReview.aspx?id=369364&isReview=true).
    We should have the results published from that first study very shortly and will keep you alerted here, and also an update on the BioBelly trial II which will recruit shortly.
    If you would like email alerts on the progress and availability of the capsules then you can sign up for email alerts and indicate that you are interested in the limited edition access to the first capsules at : https://www.phyco.com.au/contact
    Looking forward to this global network bringing a shift to the global health status through better gut conditioning. It is great that people can be empowered to take their basic health status into their own hands through diet – it is a lifelong and rewarding investment.

• posted by Melissa Jane
    on

Hi Pia, I don’t know if you will ever be doing any studies along this line but my husband suffers from psoriasis AND psoriatic arthritis. I just wanted to make contact with you so you had my contact if you ever wanted recruitments. Thanks for your hard work 🙂

• posted by Pia Winberg
    on

Hi Melissa Jane
    Both psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, as well as rheumatoid arthritis, are increasingly being linked to the gut. Although different in diagnosis, both are regarded as autoimmune and both show raised inflammation in blood tests (CRP). The challenge is that the gut is a complex ecosystem, and direct cause and effect links between gut microbes, diet and inflammation pathways are going to take a long time to resolve – although there are many papers now trying to link specific microbes to specific types of disorders. What we do know from our study however is that gut flora changed significantly, and inflammation (plasma CRP) was reduced significantly. At the same time some people in the study who just happened to have psoriasis disorders experienced remarkable improvements, and this will probably be linked to reduced inflammation and gut changes – but exactly how we do not know yet. That is why we are starting this next study with a focus on psoriasis patients, some of whom will also have the arthritic version. So I will be keen to keep everyone updated with the results of this study, which will be held in the Wollongong area of NSW, Australia; that is the only limitation to participation.
    But considering that changing your gut flora now using a diversity of food and common sense, is never going to be harmful, then why wait when you can do things like Michael Mosely explains in his book. Another story that is similar from a serious rheumatoid arthritis sufferer in Australia show some astounding results from such changes, although it took him a sever case of gastroenteritis and 8 months of a changed diet to get there. You can see his talk on Ted-X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G96U17hA-FI&feature=youtu.be
    Interestingly, Clint Paddison has an acronym for the BLAME of his disorder: Bacteria / Leaky Gut / Acid / Mucosal Lining / Enzymes. Although there is no proof that any one of these are valid causes or cures for inflammatory diseases – it all points to the root of it all in the gut and lifestyle choices. Because the seaweed extract we used had measureable effect on inflammation and mucosal microbes, as well as the anecdotal improvements for the psoriasis sufferers, and it is like a safe boost of specific dietary fibres targeting those aspects, it could help the approach to change your microbes through food. I don’t think a diet of McDonalds and seaweed capsules is going to cut it, but there is a strong case for this type of seaweed being a part of the solution to get you there faster. I really appreciate the interest and am overwhelmed by the number of sufferers out there who have contacted me. As an innovative start-up we are working hard to bring together access to the capsules for you as soon as possible. Just juggling the balls and $ of scaling to market… so bear with me. Nearly there 🙂

• posted by Yssie
    on

Hi Pia,
    I have just been reading Michael’s book and I was very interested in the research into seaweed. I have a friend who has been suffering with Pityriasis Rubra Pilaris (PRP) for many years. Numerous doctors appointments and medication have not helped. I was wondering whether a seaweed supplement would be worth trying. I shall get Michael’s book for her for a start! I would interested to know whether you have had any volunteers who have this complaint and whether the seaweed supplement helped them.
    Best wishes
    Yssie

• posted by outlooka
    on

Hi Pia!

If you are counting numbers for seaweed capsules…please add 2 more to your list of desperados.

Kind regards

Ian Hobday
    Sunshine Coast Queensland
    hobdayz@internode.on.net

• posted by andrewop
    on

Hi Pia,

Looking forward to getting your seaweed capsules in the UK too – my son has had psoriasis for years and is eager to try them.

Regards,

Andrew.

• posted by Evie57
    on

Hi Pia
    I was diagnosed with Rosacea Lymphoedema. After a long journey with dermatologists and antibiotics ( which I refused) I started changing my diet and following an anti inflammatory diet. Although there are improvements in my skin I’m not quite there yet. I believe the answer is in my gut !
    I’m continuing to try different diets but I’d love to buy and try your seaweed capsules for the inflammation. Where can I get them ?
    Many thanks
    Evie
    Central Coast NSW

• posted by Pia Winberg
    on

Hi Ian – your contact details are on my list great!

Andrew and Evie happy for you to add yourselves to our newsletter list at http://www.phyco.com.au

I am working hard on a crowd funding opportunity to accelerate the production for those who are keen to try sooner rather than later. There seem to be so many that suffer from skin issues which is tragic as I can hear the desperation for solutions. I am sure that an overall gut improvement through diet is a good approach until we can get more in production.

• posted by Pia Winberg
    on

Hi Evie
    We had the most significant anecdotal benefit with a woman with severe psoriasis on the palms of her hands, but there were others. One woman had what she called “menopausal acne” of the face, while a dermatologist colleague in Sydney would have called it adult acne or Rosacea. This woman too experienced a reduction in symptoms during the trial a year ago. It is the diverse number of people and anecdotal improvements to symptoms of the skin that lead us to establish this second trial with a focus on psoriatic disorders. The first study wasn’t designed for that; but a number of people reported skin benefits, so we identified the need for this second study to include psoriasis as a focus. We are just setting up the way we will score psoriasis in this study using the dermatology PASI score as well as a wellness questionaire and index. In this study everyone will be their own control, so I think that if the seaweed extract capsules can really deliver outcomes for psoriasis, then this study will be well and truly designed to demonstrate that clearly. Although a number of clinical diagnoses of skin disorders will differ and the effects may be different across these – there are so many skin disorders being linked to the gut now that we hope there can in part be a common solution.

• posted by Evie57
    on

Hi
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I stopped thinking of my diagnosis and look at it in terms of symptoms. I found this helped a bit.
    I’m going to keep going with my dietary changes as the link to the gut makes sense to me. I’ll watch out for the seaweed extract becoming available . Is there a link to the crowd funding site?
    Thanks
    Evie

• posted by Pia Winberg
    on

Hi Evie – it won’t be long. Watch this space and I have you on our newsletter list.
    Best
    Pia

• posted by Janielizzie
    on

Hi Pia
    I too am very interested in your capsules and have signed up! Thank you for your good work!

• posted by Ada
    on

Hi Pia
    I have already posted via your website, but just in case. Would you add two more interested in the capsules to your list. I would also be very interested to read your final paper.
    Thank you.

• posted by Dez Hodkinson
    on

Pia
    I’m a 61 year old woman living in Brisbane currently taking Methotrexate for severe psoriasis. Like all psoriasis sufferers I’m looking for a little bit of magic that won’t eventually destroy my liver or any other organs or increase my risk of melanoma. When I’m not taking Methotrexate, the psoriasis covers between 50 and 80% of my body. I’d be very interested in your future trials.

Thanks
    Dez

• posted by zabarzan
    on

Hi there Pia,
    I have both psoriasis and an underactive thyroid (I’m currently on levothyroxine 50mcg a day). Is there any reason I shouldn’t try seaweed extract – or indeed some nori seaweed every day? If I go for the latter, how many grams per day?
    I’m fascinated by the possibility of a gut link to these two conditions.
    Best wishes,
    Saira

• posted by Frankie2
    on

Hi Pia

I’m very interested in your seaweed capsules. I’ve recently had skin problems where I become terribly itchy following showers/swimming at any temperature. There is no visible rash however just incredibly itchy skin for around 30mins (following a shower for example). It makes no difference if the water is rain water, scheme, salt – all result in the same problem.

No doctor or dermatologist has been able to explain why and have only prescribed prescription antihistamines – I wondered if you had come across anything like this in your studies and possible assistance from taking seaweed capsules?

Thanks
    Frankie

• posted by mstopsham
    on

Hi Pia

I too am very interested in getting hold of your seaweed capsules for my husband who suffers with psoriasis on his hands, legs and feet. He has been prescribed various ghastly pills which make his hair thin, and which he hates pumping into his body every day. His love of sailing has now become a battle of pain against pleasure which is sad to see 🙁

I tried using the Contact page on the Phyco Food website, but haven’t had any response, so maybe it never arrived??

I would be most grateful for any information about where and when they will be available in the UK, or failing that where one can get them shipped from please?

Many thanks
    Miranda

• posted by karenbenson
    on

Hi Pia
    I am a family doctor/dermatologist in London. Itreat a lot of patients with psoriasis ,eczema and other autoimmune disease.

Would be very interested in sourcing seaweed capsules in the Uk for my long-suffeing patients,so please keep me in the loop.

All the best

Karen

• posted by Shelleydeanne
    on

Hi Pia, I suffer from atopic eczema and have done since birth, I also have polymorphic light eruption and severe asthma, hay fever and other allergies. I am really interested in trying these capsules. My 17 yr old daughter has icthyosis and very flaky skin, so I think it would also be a great thing for her to try. I look forward to hearing from you.

• posted by christiaan
    on

Pia Winberg wrote:

Some kelps concentrate iodine from seawater way too much for them to be edible in quantities everyday that make it useful as a dietary fibre (notably Kombu (Laminaria or Sugar kelp)).”

Which begs the question, why is the Cleverguts website linking to Kombu on Amazon?

The product page has a “Organic Seaweed Flakes” product:
    https://cleverguts.com/shopping-guide-categories/products/

Which links to Kombu on this Amazon page:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HQ4B2Z4/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B01HQ4B2Z4&linkCode=as2&tag=fastexer-21&linkId=ef0dbf04a21e0470dfba6d6d6705671d

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Christiaan: Dr Mosley advocates a really wide variety of wholefoods, including different seaweeds. Ideally we eat few individual foods on a daily basis.

Pia Winberg is marketing a daily seaweed supplement to people with specific health conditions.

No single foodstuff, drug or supplement suits everyone.

• posted by christiaan
    on

Sure, and that’s fine, but in his book seaweed was identified as a great prebiotic. And the person he quoted extensively in the book (Pia Winberg) has commented in this thread that “some kelps concentrate iodine from seawater way too much for them to be edible in quantities everyday that make it useful as a dietary fibre.”

So if somebody reads the book and then goes to the product page on cleverguts.com and buys Kombu etc., they’re potentially going to overdose on iodine if they start consuming it daily in the quantity needed to make it useful as a dietary fibre.

• posted by christiaan
    on

Incidentally, the seaweed I think Pia promotes in Australia is green seaweed. I don’t know the iodine content of green seaweed but nor have I been able to find anyone selling green seaweed online.

It’s green seaweed or extracts of that Pia has perhaps been using in her experiments.

• posted by christiaan
    on

Actually I just managed to order the Phettucine and PhycoDerm. $25 delivery to the UK though, and supplements not yet available.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Christiaan: Many foods/ nutrients can be harmful if overeaten (eg. salt, natural sugars, vitamin D, organ meats like liver). People should not overdose if they consider balance and variety, dont randomly supplement without understanding nutrition/ dietetics.

All the dried edible seaweeds I have come in packages of low weight (12g-57g) and the recommended serving sizes are even lower (5g-10g).

Some seaweeds are unpalatable in texture or flavour in any sort of quality. Konbu is most often used to make dashi ‘stock’ in East Asia. I found it thick and rubbery even after soaking and boiling. Quite different to the packs of seaweed salad.

Each serving of fibre-rich or antioxidant-rich food adds to the total taken in the overall diet. 5g (dry weight) of Clearspring seaweed salad apparently provides 2.4g fibre.

• posted by christiaan
    on

I still think it’s a bad idea posting Kombu on the product page.

• posted by luxie
    on

I’m also a palmar psoriasis sufferer and stopped taking methotrexate after about two years despite a general improvement. The seaweed offers a glimpse of hope for a gentler approach with fewer (or no) side effects. I’ve signed up for the newsletter, and I’d also be willing to volunteer for any clinical studies on the subject.

• posted by Snicta62
    on

I am in the U.K. also and very interested in the capsules. What seaweed capsules that are currently available in the U.K. are made of the same seaweed as that in these new capsules and where can it be bought from?

• posted by christiaan
    on

Daneen, this a prebiotics forum and the product you’re selling, being brown kelp, probably contains too much iodine for this purpose. And there’s no mention on your website about what your capsules contain.

See Pia Winberg’s comment:
    “There are a number of simply milled seaweeds in capsules on the market, but not many yet with the concentrated dietary fibre component with science behind it – but watch this space as there will be soon. Importantly if you buy any seaweed in capsules or powdered form as a supplement and it seems to be a brown kelp, then you just need to make sure that you are not overdosing for iodine. Some kelps concentrate iodine from seawater way too much for them to be edible in quantities everyday that make it useful as a dietary fibre.”

• posted by christiaan
    on

But one capsule is not going to provide enough fibre to make it useful as a dietary prebiotic. And this is a prebiotic forum. Take enough to make useful as a dietary fibre and you’re going to overdose on iodine.

It should go without saying that overdosing on iodine for a prolonged period is no small issue.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Just caught Dr Pia Winberg and her seaweed research lab on BBC Television’s ‘Coast Australia’ series 2, Southern New South Wales episode. First 15 minutes if you are watching online. 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.