Seaweed and Psoriasis

• posted by Toddles
    on

Michael mentions Pia Winberg and the surprising, and unexpected, results of one of the study group who suffered from psoriasis which cleared when taking the seaweed capsules she is trialling. While waiting for her capsules to become available in the UK can anyone recommend a good brand of seaweed capsule I could try please?

• posted by Dot
    on

I am very keen to know about the availability of seaweed capsules in Australia.

• posted by Deanna
    on

Another Australian here, keen to find try them ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Pia Winberg
    on

Hi there – there are not many seaweed capsules available that concentrate the dietary fibres needed for the gut health benefits. Seaweed capsules that are currently available are often straight milled seaweed and need to be dosed carefully to avoid too much iodine. But as long as you stay within 5g per day and avoid kombu (high iodine) you will at least be boosting some kinds of seaweed dietary fibres. Or you can eat 5g of sushi roll seaweed (nori) which isn’t hard to do. However we can keep you abreast of the concentrated, fibre-capsule availability in the next few months at http://www.phyco.com.au
    Best
    Pia

• posted by Santolini
    on

I am also trying to find seaweed supplements for my psoriasis, its frustrating that the book implies that things are available when they are not. I cant find a way to print the diet sheets from the website either, any suggestions?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Santolini: See the thread entitled ‘Remove & Repair Meal Planner’ in the Newbies forum.

You may well find that, as you cycle through the Remove & Repair and Reintroduction stages of the Clever Guts diet, you simply don’t need a seaweed supplement. As their name implies, spplements should be an add-on to a properly balanced and very varied wholefood diet. Which is exactly what you are embarking on. ๐Ÿ™‚

Pia’s initial study group is likely to be quite specific: Australian (very different sunlight to Scotland or Canada), clinically overweight or obese (excess body fat promotes inflammation) for a start. The volunteers will have been advised not to otherwise alter their diet or lifestyle, but those on the seaweed obviously consumed more fibre , and probably less sugar and refined carbs (lower cravings).

• posted by cheese83
    on

Hello,
    My husband and i have started on the Clever guts journey and have been really enjoying it. We haven’t been super strict since getting to the reintroduction phase but more often then before we have really improved our eating. Both of us have lost around 5kg in weight.

Why I’m writing here is that around the same time my husband developed a really bad rash, finally going to dr and trying different things he now has the result of a skin biopsy that he has psoriasis/dermatitis and its not the contact form. Which is very strange to us as if anything we have really improved our not so bad diet to since this skin condition has developed. He is gong on a course of steroids and see what happens, not something that we like to do long term. I remembered about the seaweed research and we also live in Australia.

If anyone has bought seaweed capsules and see the results please can you reply – very keen to really up our anti in the clever guts area and help treat his skin.

thank you! Nicole

• posted by Msara
    on

Sorry to hear about your husband’s rash. I’ve not bought any seaweed capsules but would certainly try them if my psoriasis returned. If he’s on steroids though you’d not be sure which was helping.
    Good luck. Hope it clears quickly.

• posted by SarahAP
    on

I’m in NSW and very keen to buy the seaweed capsules as well – am just about to embark on the Remove and Repair phase of my gut flora journey – any advice on what you do when going out and sharing a meal? Is it OK to occasionally diverge from the path or do you have to start all over again?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

SarahAP: See the ‘Plan Ahead’ paragraph (p.188 of the CG book). It is important to know *exactly* what you have eaten or drunk from the start of your detailed food and symptom diary, and throughout the elimination/ ‘remove and repair’ phase. If these suggest any food allergies or intolerances, you need to be strict during the reintroduction phase too (sorry!).

This is because even a tiny amount of soy, wheat, eggs, nuts or milk can cause problems for susceptible individuals. A reaction can be delayed or swift, and you can’t be sure exactly what you have been exposed to unless you ‘supervise’ the chef and all their lackeys!

If your health issues are primarily down to an imbalanced, poor quality, processed or low variety diet you may have more flexibility. You may be able to eat out, if sticking to the basic principles (a little wine, fish, veggies, cheeseboard and fruit, coffee say).

• posted by Pia Winberg
    on

Dear all who have been looking for access to concentrated seaweed fibre sources, we have been overwhelmed with interest since our first clinical study and we are now wrapping up the second one where we had 50 participants with skin conditions. In order to be able to scale this to meet the demand we have started an Indiegogo pre-order campaign which means we can then scale faster. You can see the full story and the capsules, as well as other seaweed food products that are easy to eat everyday at https://igg.me/at/phycohealth
    In addition to our clinical study participants, many people have contacted me directly and expressed their improved condition since simply being focused on their diet more and following Clever Guts approaches to food. This is great and hopefully with seaweed available now in a form that is easy and accessible in concentrated doses without too much iodine, this can be a part of your regime. It is wonderful that people can start to take charge of their health and learn for themselves what is working for them โ€“ we all have a unique gut and unique ways to improve it.
    Best
    Pia

• posted by JenLR
    on

Dear all

You will have seen Dr Pia Winberg’s posting about her concentrated seaweed fibre products.
    I was excited and keen to sample and trial some of these to help with my psoriasis issues. So she kindly set up a perk combining some of the products I wished for. You can find them here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/improve-your-health-with-unique-seaweed-solutions-food-vegan/x/18892440?secret_perk_token=ac275e1d#/
    I also purchased her snacks as they look really delicious.

Warmly J

Please log in or register to post a reply.