Potato Starch

• posted by MIDAS
    on

Hi, for the last two nights I have taken a spoonful of potato starch mixed with a small glass of milk. Early days I know, but my quality of sleep has definitely improved. A promising start.

• posted by IKeeptrying
    on

That’s interesting, Midas and good that you’re sleeping better. I’m an insomniac and find when I’mve not slept well I lose all motivation for dieting or eating healthily.
    Where do you buy potato starch from or how do you make it?

• posted by Ding
    on

Amazon sell potato starch, or search for Bob’s Red Mill Potato Starch on google, there are various retailers.

• posted by Ding
    on

I’d sound a note of caution regarding long-term use of potato starch, if you google potato starch colon cancer you’ll see what I mean. It may be best rather than taking it as a drink to incorporate it in a meal with some form of fibre to help it get tomthe right part of your guts.

• posted by PatG
    on

Hi. Staff at my local Holland and Barrett said they don’t sell it until my daughter pointed out the empty space on the shelf.

Must have been a run on it.

• posted by nutsinmay
    on

A very reputable company called Nature’s Best (excellent website and easy ordering) sell a product called Flourishe, made from chicory root which is mentioned in MM’s book as a good source of inulin. It’s easy and pleasant to a take. Hope this helps.

• posted by Annvelo
    on

I am taking inulin (chicory root) Is this the same as taking potato starch.

• posted by 1303liesl
    on

I prefer my bedtime milk warm. Does it make any difference to having it cold?

• posted by ajdee
    on

I have taken a tspn of potato starch in small amount of milk for last few nights. I can’t remember when I have last slept so badly for such a prolonged period. The effect is the same as when eating an evening meal rich in onions: no sleep, and volcanic gut activity. I won’t continue until I know more. My husband took it and slept like a top.

• posted by recoveringfatty
    on

Hi Midas
    I’m no expert but my family have been trying different pre and pro biotics for a little while now, fascinating stuff!
    Did you drink this just before bed?
    If so maybe it would be worth trying earlier say 6-7pm to give it a few hours to digest before bedtime? From the little experience I have some people seem to be able to tolerate pre biotics better than others. For instance i have taken 2 tablespoon fulls of Potato starch before bedtime (as an experiment, not routinely) and it had no notable effect on me. I also take Bimuno every day and have had no issues, however a friend who also took Bimuno and suffered tummy ache every day after she took it (she now takes half a sachet and seems fine on that). I think its probably down to differing gut microbes in different people (hence your husband is OK), my guess is your microbes will adapt over time if you can persevere, maybe try half a teaspoon full and build up slowly?
    Did you have any other pre biotics in your diet before taking the starch? Maybe adding a pro-biotic would help boost your microbes allowing them to cope (live Yoghut, Kefir, Saurkraut, etc) ?
    Good luck.

• posted by ajdee
    on

Hi RF, Thanks for your reply. Yes, I had been taking home-made yoghurt and apple cider vinegar but I backed off about a week ago when I got a bad head cold. Yoghurt always makes colds worse with me. I don’t know why because milk/cheese etc does not. The cider vinegar was giving me a tummy ache and a lot of discomfort. Very puzzling. I hadn’t heard of Bimuno. It seems to be a UK product but we probably have a comparable product here in Australia.

• posted by recoveringfatty
    on

Hi ajdee
    May be you could give Kefir a go? I believe it may be better than yoghurt as it has more microbes. Its an acquired taste, easier to palette if you use it as a smoothie base, I add berries, spinach and chia seeds (although I love it neat) It’s also easy to make if you can get some grains.

Please log in or register to post a reply.