peeling chickpeas?

• posted by melodious
    on

Making hommus at home like it’s going out of fashion. Eating it from the jar like it’s icecream. Going to bed dreaming about spreading it on toasted green flaxseed bread (recipe in Clever Guts) for brekky the next morning…
    I’ve discovered that peeling the chickpeas makes my hommus one thousand times creamier and smoother and more hom-licious. (Tinned chickpeas, pop them out of their skins one by one. Adds an extra ten minutes to the process but it’s deeply satisfying.)
    My question is: how much does this change their nutritional value? I imagine a good bit of roughage is in those skins, but there’s also going to be a decent amount left in the peeled version, right? Any thoughts?

• posted by GutLovingLife
    on

Hi Melodious! I always recommend to peel chickpeas to help reduce gas, so I’d say that alone is a good reason why it’s a good idea to do this. In terms of roughage and fiber, the whole chickpea provides that anyway and you’re probably eating the houmous with crudites, or perhaps wholegrain? These will give you a good supply of extra fiber too 🙂 enjoy it!

Please log in or register to post a reply.